I brew v60s with a cone to shape the coffee bed - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
ira
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by ira »

It seems like until the people dismissing the idea have tried it and found it makes worse coffee that we should just accept it as a new idea that seems like it might have merit. While that particular idea has never crossed my mind, I've always wondered about better ways to brew coffee and this certainly seems like one that has possibilities.

Ira

mkane
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by mkane »

For some odd reason whenever I open a thread in the 'Brewing' section, I smell coffee.

culturesub

#13: Post by culturesub »

ira wrote:It seems like until the people dismissing the idea have tried it and found it makes worse coffee that we should just accept it as a new idea that seems like it might have merit. While that particular idea has never crossed my mind, I've always wondered about better ways to brew coffee and this certainly seems like one that has possibilities.

Ira
To be clear I'm not dismissing this and have done a version of this before.

culturesub

#14: Post by culturesub »

DamianWarS wrote:I think we've entered a degressed topic here. I'm not trying to discourage agitation in the bloom, I'm showing a way I've found to wet the grinds more quickly and efficiently and in my observations agitation is less needed however the agitation part is not the point and you may agitate as much as you wish. The point is a more efficient way of wetting the grounds during the bloom.

I've attached a pic of typical dry flat bed, a "birds nest" that you shape with a spoon (Rao/Perger) then this cone bed that is made with a cone rolling and pressing the coffee into a thin layer along the walls of the brewer

Flat bed

Bird's nest (Rao/Perger)

Cone bed
What cone are you using for this?

ira
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by ira »

culturesub wrote:To be clear I'm not dismissing this and have done a version of this before.
So from my perspective, it certainly felt that way. Hopefully you don't take it personally.

Ira

DamianWarS

#16: Post by DamianWarS »

culturesub wrote:What cone are you using for this?
Any cone will work but a real cone, not one with a hole at the bottom for brewing. I actually use a bamboo weaved brewer meant to be used without any filters but that's just because that's what I have lying around. One day I saw the cone brewer while I was trying the bird's next approach and thought it would be better to shape with that which led to pressing/rolling in a thin layer. I think a solid wood cone may work better. Here is a picture of the cone I use.