How to use the milk thermometer?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
drewjonn

#1: Post by drewjonn »

I'm using a manual boiling pan to heat the water up and I don't know when should I put the thermometer on, during the water heating process or after?

Or what would be the best alternative to avoid using thermometers to brew the water?

CorvusDoug

#2: Post by CorvusDoug »

I would skip the thermometer and just use the water when it's at a rumbling boil. If you do use one though, just make sure it's not touching the bottom of the pan. You should be able to leave it in as the water heats though no problem. Good luck!
Corvus Coffee Roasters - Denver, CO

drewjonn (original poster)

#3: Post by drewjonn (original poster) replying to CorvusDoug »

So, I just take it out while it's boiling and leave it for a 30-second rest? Since what I know is to not boil the water as it causes over-extraction (which leads to bitter taste), should I maintain the water at a certain condition to ensure well extraction?

Thanks Doug, you're helping!

CorvusDoug

#4: Post by CorvusDoug »

Hey Drew,

What brew method are you using? Also, what's the approximate roast level of the beans you're using? (lighter, dark-ish, etc)

drewjonn (original poster)

#5: Post by drewjonn (original poster) replying to CorvusDoug »

I think it's light to medium in term of roast level, can you tell me what difference does it make?

I use the the Hario V60 and Chemex for pourovers and French Press for immersion.

Cheers!

CorvusDoug

#6: Post by CorvusDoug »

drewjonn wrote:I think it's light to medium in term of roast level, can you tell me what difference does it make?

I use the the Hario V60 and Chemex for pourovers and French Press for immersion.

Cheers!
I would skip the thermometer and just wait for the water to completely boil and use that for your pour overs or french press and not worry about over extraction. Here's why:
1. Lighter roasted coffee is less soluble and less likely to over extract with slightly hotter water. You can always grind a little coarser, anyway. Darker roasted coffee is more soluble and naturally has more bitter flavors so it's more of an issue.
2. With V60/Chemex, the brewing water loses energy very quickly while traveling through the air, especially if you're transferring to a kettle with a thin spout. By the time it hits/brews the coffee it's in that nice ~90 degree range.
3. For French press, water loses energy/heat even faster, and there's no reheating of the thermal mass since you're just adding all the water at once.

Don't get too wrapped up in fine-tuning your water temperature. Just let it boil and use other parameters to adjust to taste(grind, time, etc). Good luck!