How to prepare Turkish coffee, part 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

This morning I tried brewing Turkish coffee using instructions from a FAQ thread here.

How to prepare Turkish coffee

The result was quite good, right out of the gate. Brew time was about two minutes.

I scored the cezve on eBay from a Russian seller. It was inexpensive but high quality, and about 360 ml capacity to the rim, although I wouldn't top it off. I like the wooden handle instead of a metal one that could get hot. The recipe I used based on that thread was:

25 ml coffee or 7.5 gm
200 ml cool water
I added 5 ml sugar but would reduce that

I put this on a small iron pan on my induction stove at high heat. When foam covered the surface I removed it. The coffee wasn't burned at all. It yielded two large shot glasses. Next time I'll use a thin-walled coffee cup, because it's quite hot when first poured.

Key parts of the instructions were grind a bit coarser than flour so the grounds settle. Use high heat once and don't bring to a boil, just to foaming once. I used a home-roasted Tanzania at full city +. I ground the coffee on my Niche Zero, which was up to the task.

Here are markings on the cezve, since a few sellers offer it. It's copper that's plated with what the seller described as "food-grade tin."

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

vit

#2: Post by vit »

drgary wrote: 25 mg coffee or 7.5 gm
200 ml cool water
I added 5 ml sugar but would eliminate that
You mean 25ml or 7.5 gm, or 25g ?
Because, on Balkans, 7.5g coffee with 200g water would be called a tea

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary (original poster) replying to vit »

Oops! :lol:

I just updated that.
Gary
LMWDP#308

AssafL

#4: Post by AssafL »

In restaurants they sometimes use heated sand to boil and percolate the coffee. Heats it more slowly so it doesn't foam over. You can adjust the heat by pushing the cezve into the sand (closer to the fire).
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

C-Antonio

#5: Post by C-Antonio »

The first time I tried turkish coffee in a Greek restaurant in Toronto I hated it... then a friend explained me why...
Made properly its really good.

I found this video interesting (friend's comment on it was "well... yes and no... :) ):
“Eh sì sì sì…sembra facile (fare un buon caffè)!”

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

AssafL wrote:In restaurants they sometimes use heated sand to boil and percolate the coffee. Heats it more slowly so it doesn't foam over. You can adjust the heat by pushing the cezve into the sand (closer to the fire).
I tried this after heating the sand in an 18 cm cast iron pan over gas for 15 minutes. I think it must take a long time for the sand to get hot enough. After 10 minute the cezve had still not come to extraction.
drgary wrote:This morning I tried brewing Turkish coffee using instructions from a FAQ thread here.

How to prepare Turkish coffee

I scored the cezve on eBay from a Russian seller. It was inexpensive but high quality, and about 360 ml capacity to the rim, although I wouldn't top it off. I like the wooden handle instead of a metal one that could get hot. The recipe I used based on that thread was:
Nice pot. I would like to replace the stainless with plastic handle I picked up in Istanbul 22 years ago, but I haven't done so out of mistrust of internet images of those things. I would probably go for the metal handle one like in that video above.
LMWDP #198

belegnole

#7: Post by belegnole »

I've been wanting to give this style of coffee a try for years. My only issue is that I will have to make my purchases online. While that's not normally an issue. There seems to be some debate as to the safety of most of not all of the pots available. As well as the the honesty of the sites selling the Sozen grinders. Numerous statements that I have read say that many of the grinders are imitations.

Turgay's company does however seem legit, though the prices a higher. If anyone has any good places to purchase the equipment I for one would appreciate it. Thanks
LMWDP #641

myso

#8: Post by myso »

My method for the last days, i follow turgay yildizli's recipe with filtration.

20g coffee 200g water. Coffee is ground at 11 clicks in comandante c40. My usual espresso grind is between 7-8. 5clicks choke my pump machine. And for v60 usually around 25clicks.

I put ground coffee in stainless steel milk pitcher. Add 100ml of room temperature water in the pot and mix. The remaining 100ml of water i boil and add to pot off boil. After mixing coffee/cold/hot water i get around 60°C of starting mixture. (This i was inspred by the alternative immersion brewing method in brewing forum)
Then i put the pot on the induction stove at 7.5 power setting for 2min 30s. With this power the coffee starts rising around 90°C. (This setting heats the mixture without coffee from 60 to 90 °C in 2min30s)
I pour the coffee in a glass cup and cool it in a decanter with room temperature water inside (sort of like bain-marie technique but for cooling down). It cools down to around 60°C in 5 minutes. I remove the crema/foam on top. Then i filter it in my cup either with fine mesh metal tea filter or 2 aeropress paper filters.

Ron

#9: Post by Ron »

Since your photo said Pyatigorsk Stanitsa in Russian, I traced down the website of this company, as follows, just in case anyone's interested:

https://stanitca.ru/

I also have a collection of a few Russian coffee making implements, including some Ibriks, a heavyweight cylindrical moka pot with a spout, and three plastic manual grinders. One of my ibriks says it's made of stainless steel and the others look like brass or copper.
★ Helpful

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Nice find! Google Translate instantly makes the text on that site readable.
Gary
LMWDP#308