How to prepare turkish coffee in sand?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
chelya

#1: Post by chelya »

I am thinking about turkish coffee hour at my friend's pool party. I make excellent turkish coffee on a stove - also I can get a bunch of ibriks for the party. However presentation part should be better then simply making it on top of the stove.
I know that turkish coffee can be cooked in sand, but I could not find any practical "how to" references.
Any ideas?
Also - other presentation/serving/food matching suggestions are welcome.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

I'm told, but haven't seen. The preparation is supposed to be roughly the same as with a gas stove. Turkish cafes use a sand-filled metal tray on the stove (should work on a sterno can warming tray too), and a very low fire; since they believe the slower it cooks, the better (I've seen that part). The sandbath provides such low and even heat, that the Ibrik can just sit in the sand without the coffee foaming over. The foam is transferred to the serving cups as it comes up, then in a minute or so, the coffee is poured. As always, start with sugar at the bottom, water in the middle, and ground coffee on top.

This is hearsay; I hope someone who's done it comes by with clearer instructions.
Jim Schulman

chelya (original poster)

#3: Post by chelya (original poster) »

Thanks Jim!

Any other practical advice?

chelya (original poster)

#4: Post by chelya (original poster) »

I am thinking this:

https://www.shatila.com/

to go with the coffee.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

I always liked a good traditional Baklava. The coffee cuts the sweetness but you need a bold cup to stand up to the pastry.
Dave Stephens