How to Best Brew Anaerobic Natural Coffee

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Elemsee

#1: Post by Elemsee »

I'm wondering what I should be considering when specifically brewing anaerobic natural processed coffee, specifically light roasts, and for pour over/hario switch methods. I just received 3 anaerobic naturals from Red Rooster - I know they are wonderful offerings, but I'm having trouble getting solid tasting brews, and my results are even difficult to assess whether they are over or under extracted - usually it's pretty clear to me but I'm striking out.

Should coffees undergoing this process be ground finer? Brewed at higher/lower temperatures? Benefit from less/more pours?

For reference, I have a C40 grinder & Ode grinder, a roster of drippers (Kono, kalita wave sandstone, switch, origami, stagg x, & torch), and use third wave water.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

DamianWarS

#2: Post by DamianWarS replying to Elemsee »

I would reach out to Red Rooster. Roasters will often test their coffee with pour over methods and will probably give you at least what works for them not to mention recommending a resting period. Broadly however my queues start from the roast not processing method and a light roast would be straight off the boil and finer.

To confirm this try cupping the coffee with different temps at 5 degree steps, 100c, 95c, 90c, etc... If you're having a hard time pulling out if its under/over contrasting it helps to pull out the differences. Such as which is more sour a, b, or c etc... (If it's too nuanced try larger steps) you should at least be able to pull out the one you prefer even if you can't articulate why and with hope land on a temp that works best.

You can do the same for any detail you're unsure about like grind level. I would test it with off the boil water but the key is to only test one thing at a time and to contrast it as the contrasting will help you figure out what is working and what is not and 3 is a good number for contrasting. Probably temp and grind will be the most practical to test for cupping. 3 equal sizes cups, 15gr of coffee in each, 200gr water, brew for 4 min, break crust skim surface and wait for another 5 for coffee to settle/cool. Cup with wide mouth spoon

Advertisement
mkane
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mkane »

195° is our sweet spot for PO

Stavey
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Stavey »

I've been brewing Red Rooster worka sakaro anarobic natural . I've tried it in the clever , the v60 , the flower, the blue bottle dripper, and the Chemex. For me the best results are had using the plastic v60 and a cafec medium roast paper (fast flowing). I've settled on 22g of med-FINE coffee . I use the Sabuka or stir stick swirl method with the grounds. Water straight from boil.
60g bloom at 30 seconds I add another 60g . at 1:15 I add another 100g and swirl . at 1:45 I add the remaining 115g of water, for a total of 330g . Draw down is usually around 2:45-3:15. This is what I'm drinking rite now . One of, if not the fruitiest beans I've had all year.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#5: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

@Elemsee thank you! I am wondering about this too. I personally dislike the earthy notes of most fermented coffees, but sometimes can not resist to buy them when I get the feeling the roaster could surprise me.

Grinding coarser or a using a lower temperature seems to be hit or miss. Try April Coffee's recipe, it can be found on YouTube, no don't need to buy their dripper for testing. I did buy it and like it a lot for some beans.

My personal best experience was with beans that were almost half a year from roast, sounds super awkward and might be a coincidence. After that experience I ordered the same beans from the roaster, different badge obviously. And they were awful, it dawned on me too late that the super long rest might have helped. I don't really know though, but will try again when I am in the same situation again.
Actually the theory is based on what the guy in the shop told me. I just couldn't believe that anyone in a 3rd wave shop would ask me to wait 2 month before using fresh beans.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#6: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

Accidentally quoted myself instead of editing and couldn't delete.