How is this grind size for V60 - should I go finer

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

This is my normal grind for a V60. With ~25 grams of this grind at a 15:1 to 17:1 ratio, my brews normally take about 3:00 to 3:30 including 30 to 45 second blooms. I get no to few signs of over extraction. Most of time coffee seems right but occasionally I get bright to citrus-tangy taste indicating possible under extraction. So it seems I could go for more extraction and I would like to go finer but if I go much finer, it usually chokes but only at the very end of brew when there is just a little water above the grounds - normally I just remove the V60 after a few seconds of the stream going to drip in those cases.

I am wondering how this grind looks. NOTE: It is finer than it looks in the photo as the pieces clump together with static so it was hard to spread them out in the photo, so it is more small clumps than a break-out of the grit.

Do most go finer or coarser than this? Share any pictures of yours if you would please.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Looks ok to me. I grind a bit finer than that with smaller batches (20g or less), but you're in the ballpark for that dose now. Common wisdom is to keep grinding finer till you get astringency from the slow draw down, then back off just till that goes away.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Acavia (original poster)

#3: Post by Acavia (original poster) replying to TomC »

I went finer today. Finest I ever used. 3.5 stepless on grinder - for reference, 3 is espresso. Grind looked about same, so cannot tell grind fineness from sight I guess. Coffee was very good. Best I have had from this coffee. Rich, smooth, sweet with no bitterness. The brew streamed to end, then started dripping when there was a little water left but that happens with coarser grinds too when water force is less. I used 25.3g coffee to 380.9 water, so ~15:1. Including 45 second bloom, the brew took 3:27.

Quester

#4: Post by Quester »

Acavia wrote:Rich, smooth, sweet with no bitterness. The brew streamed to end, then started dripping when there was a little water left but that happens with coarser grinds too when water force is less. I used 25.3g coffee to 380.9 water, so ~15:1. Including 45 second bloom, the brew took 3:27.
As Tom suggests, taste is a better way to determine the best grind size for V60. And grind size can vary for different coffees. That you ground finer, it didn't stall, and it tasted great means you are on the right path. Also, a finer grind doesn't necessarily mean a slower drawdown time.

DamianWarS

#5: Post by DamianWarS »

Acavia wrote:This is my normal grind for a V60. With ~25 grams of this grind at a 15:1 to 17:1 ratio, my brews normally take about 3:00 to 3:30 including 30 to 45 second blooms. I get no to few signs of over extraction. Most of time coffee seems right but occasionally I get bright to citrus-tangy taste indicating possible under extraction. So it seems I could go for more extraction and I would like to go finer but if I go much finer, it usually chokes but only at the very end of brew when there is just a little water above the grounds - normally I just remove the V60 after a few seconds of the stream going to drip in those cases.

I am wondering how this grind looks. NOTE: It is finer than it looks in the photo as the pieces clump together with static so it was hard to spread them out in the photo, so it is more small clumps than a break-out of the grit.

Do most go finer or coarser than this? Share any pictures of yours if you would please.

I just got a new coffee, a honey process, and used the same grind setting for my previous brew. the drawdown was slower and it was slightly astringent as it cooled. every coffee is different, you just need to find the balance for yours.