Hot weather, cold drinks - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
bernie

#11: Post by bernie »

nixter wrote:Well we just got hit with some nice high 20's weather here in Vancouver. That's mid to high 80's for the metric holdouts ;) I've started making short iced lattes in the morning. I find them to be such a nice treat! Pull straight into a tumbler filled with ice and then pour a little milk over top. Great way to start a hot day!

Anyone else making cold drinks?

I wonder if Nick Cho is making any? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02018.html

kupe

#12: Post by kupe »

The coffee shop I started working at recently makes iced lattes and Americanos by pulling the espresso into a shot glass and adding a bit of water or milk, respectively, to cool it slowly. Only after that is it poured over ice. I did a blind taste test today since this thread had me thinking about it, and the difference was clear. The shot pulled directly over ice was intensely sour, while the one that had water added first was much less bright and became more palatable. I recommend giving it a try. I've been enjoying espresso with some half & half over ice greatly this way over the last couple of months.

Skunkie

#13: Post by Skunkie »

I absolutely agree that espresso pulled directly over ice creates a sourness I personally dislike as well. It's even apparent when pulled directly over ice cream. I usually make my americano or iced milk coffee by adding the liquid to the espresso and then adding ice. Though recently I have tried adding the espresso to iced liquid slowly. With an americano this works out ok, but with milk it tends to need a lot of stirring.
// LMWDP #299 \\

CoffeeOwl

#14: Post by CoffeeOwl »

bernie wrote:I wonder if Nick Cho is making any? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02018.html
We had a discussion thread over this when it happened, here: Aggressive QA by barista

And the best informative post of it all is that one: how to make iced americano - Murky quote
... :D but still, having tried it, I prefer my coffee hot! If I want to cool down, then I can have cold mineral water, or juice. Or beer if I want a cold beer - take wheat weiss honey beer as example - it tastes good just slightly cool, not cold...
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

lolgun

#15: Post by lolgun »

My wife and I tried the espresso and OJ on ice. IMHO, it was . . . drinkable, but my wife made a face when she tasted it. I like to be open to new things, and so does my wife, but this was OK, not something I'd do again.

While we lived in Thailand, they used to make Iced Coffee's and they were fabulous. The process was very similar to Vietnamese Iced Coffee, with condensed milk, but it was never with espresso. I might have to try my aeropress with some condensed milk on ice and see if I can mimic those fantastic coffee's we had in Asia (going to fleabay now to see if I can find some Vietnamese iced coffee presses) - 35c today :evil:

nixter (original poster)

#16: Post by nixter (original poster) »

I too tried the espresso over OJ. The first sip made me wince a little. However by the 2nd or 3rd sip I couldn't really detect the espresso! It just tasted like slightly bitter OJ, but in a good way. I would try this again with a lighter espresso and fresh squeezed OJ. Packaged OJ even if not from concentrate always tastes slightly bitter to me. Perhaps I would ad the OJ slowly to the espresso then add ice as per above.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#17: Post by cannonfodder »

When I make any kind of chilled coffee drink I prepare the coffee or espresso an hour or so ahead of time then let it cool to room temperature. Putting coffee or espresso directly into something cold will shock the coffee and precipitate the solids out of solution. Ever made hot tea then dumped in some ice and it suddenly gets cloudy, same thing with coffee. That shock will tend to make the drink bitter and astringent. Let it cool slowly then make your iced drink.

I wish it was 20C here. Last week we hit 105, that is 40.5C with a heat index of 115. Unheard of temperatures for Philly.

Now coffee ice cream is another tricky thing to make. You cannot just dump coffee into ice cream mix. I spent a summer getting the recipe down. Better than anything you will get at a store.
Dave Stephens

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by JohnB. »

My cold coffee drink of choice is a nice Ethiopian or Kenyan S/O cold brewed in my Hario Mitzudash Grande. Unlike the Toddy that is now gathering dust on a shelf the Mitzu brew is like a strong vac pot brew with all the varietal flavors of the bean without the typical "cold brew" taste. Excellent over ice either straight or slightly diluted.

If I'm making an iced espresso I let the shot sit in the cup for a few minutes to cool off, pour the shot into a beaker filled with ice, swirl it around to chill, pour back in the cup, add a little half & half and drink.

As for summer heat we saw 102*F with high humidy last week but didn't break the record of 106*F set back in the early 90's.
LMWDP 267

another_jim
Team HB

#19: Post by another_jim »

SiD- wrote:My favourite cold drink for the summer:
Take 200ml mild orange juice with lots of ice and gently pour an espresso on the top of it
A shot of triple sec into your favorite iced coffee also does wonders.
Jim Schulman

cannonfodder
Team HB

#20: Post by cannonfodder »

I have had a couple ask about the coffee ice cream, so here it is.

From the old 2006 Espresso as Dessert thread...

Ok, I think I finally have a working recipe for those that were interested.

You will need...
1 ½ cups 2% milk
Coffee
¾ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks, beaten
½ tablespoon vanilla
2 cups ice cold whipping cream

The hard part was getting the coffee flavor. If you use espresso, it gets bitter, if you use coffee brewed in water, there is not enough cream in the mix and you end up with a block of ice. While not good for ice-cream, break it into chunks toss it in a blender with a little milk and you have a coffee milkshake.

Take one and a half cups of 2% milk and heat it just short of a boil, 198'ish F.

While the milk is heating, put the appropriate amount of coffee into your French press. Once the milk is at temperature, dump it into the press pot and let steep one minute longer than you normally do. Press and pour the milk pack into your pan. You should have one cup of coffee infused milk after the press.

Whip 3 egg yolks; slowly add one quarter of the hot milk to the egg yolk (tempering the eggs). Keep whipping the eggs while you add the milk. Then add the egg and milk mix back to the pan. Add in three-quarter cup sugar, one-quarter teaspoon salt and cook on medium heat stirring constantly until thickened. You are making loose custard. The mix should coat the back of a spoon.

Refrigerate the mix overnight.

Just before churning, mix in one half tablespoon vanilla and two cups of ice cold whipping cream (heavy cream, 30%+ milk fat). Hay, I said it was good, not low calorie. Don't even try half and half. Low fat ice-cream is like decaf coffee, why bother?

Mix well and churn in your ice-cream maker, freeze a few hours to harden and enjoy.
Dave Stephens