Hot milk with V60?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
windycity1989

#1: Post by windycity1989 »

I ordered some Red Bird Yirgacheffe, and was very disappointed by its quality. They are quite over roasted. The "medium" roast level certainly tastes like city+ to full city.

I tried to lower water temperature, increase grind size, use full immersion (Hario switch), and the results are just disappointing no matter what.

IMO definitely overpriced at around $16 a pound. No complex acidity / fruit notes. Very clear roast flavors (smoky, bitterness, etc). Never, ever gonna order from them again.

I've decided to use these beans for cold brew, freeze them into ice cubes, vacuum, and drink with milk.

Then, I came across this video on YouTube, and the method of using 140F milk with V60 sounds like an interesting idea to help me not waste 4 pounds of over-roasted beans...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKSNqaIlDL4

I wonder if anyone had some hands-on experiences with this? Of course I can try it myself when I get some milk, but just want to hear about people's experiences.

Any suggestions about what grind sizes to use? What temperature? Drawdown time? etc, etc...

Thanks in advance!

DamianWarS

#2: Post by DamianWarS replying to windycity1989 »

Seattle coffee gear's technique needs some work but broadly speaking this isn't a bad idea especially if you enjoy milky drinks but it would be to demanding for me to drink it everyday and more of a once and a while type drink for me. Milk also isn't free so you're adding more costs in the drink especially if you doing it for each cup. Assuming milk is about $1/liter your $16/pound coffee now turns into $22-23/pound with all that milk your consuming. Just food for thought if you were looking at higher priced coffee next batch.