Hiroia Hikaru V60 Smart Coffee Brewer (Kickstarter)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Plinyyounger »

Here is a new auto pour over machine. Looks promising, designed uniquely, but how do you pour over pros think it will work for us espresso guys with no pour over experience?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hi ... d-by-hario
Family, coffee and fun.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

I looked into it - there was a lower price if one signed up for early notification. I haven't seen any of the influencer reviews. I ultimately decided not to back, because:
- it takes up a lot of counter space;
- it doesn't have much capacity (max. 19.5oz) which is either good or bad - these kinds of brewers usually work best at close to max. capacity;
- depending on one's tastes, the LED light show is either cool or ridiculous; and
- the price. I'd guess that if one brews anything from - in espresso terms - an Italian dark roast to a Nordic light roast on any given day, then I could see it - although the $200 Behmor Brazen 3 or $300 Breville Precision could do similar. If you plan to mostly brew specialty light roasts, then a brewer that costs more than a $340 Ratio 6 and a $150-$250 Bonavita is hard to swallow.

OTOH, if you like the striking looks of the Hiroia, then why not? You're going to have to look at that size of a brewer every day.

Also, you have a decent, and people say that the decent makes pretty good pourover filter coffee - and with any espresso machine one can make Americano's.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

Interesting, I'd be curious if it's possible to change the temperature for stages of the brew, but I don't see that mentioned on the Kickstarter for the Hiroia Hikaru V60 Smart Coffee Brewer.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Sal

#4: Post by Sal »

Hmmm, another overblown expensive "smart" brewer. This one comes from a recognized company Hario (or I should say Hiroia which is a subsidiary of Hario). From the video, it looks like the shower head is located directly over the center only. So, it is mostly "center pour" only brewing very similar to what Cafec calls the "Osmotic flow" brewing technique.

For this price, I would want it to be 100% automatic from beans to cup. But this is not. Sill have to grind the coffee and set it up. I think I will stick with a $10 plastic V60.
I am a home-roaster, not a home-barista...

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

yakster wrote:Interesting, I'd be curious if it's possible to change the temperature for stages of the brew, but I don't see that mentioned on the Kickstarter for the Hiroia Hikaru V60 Smart Coffee Brewer.
I don't see the possibility in the app screenshots. That would be a killer feature, though.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Plinyyounger (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Plinyyounger (original poster) »

Good comments, I can tell so far I may be looking down another rabbit hole, haha. I'll keep my eye on here and decide whether or not to buy.
Family, coffee and fun.

pGolay

#7: Post by pGolay »

Oi... it would have to be pretty good to put up with being poked in the eye every day by that thing...
-PG

Dr Strangelove

#8: Post by Dr Strangelove »

What this has going for it is the aesthetic, and the shower head dispersion is pressurized.
Like kitchen trophy appliances, something to be displayed, and that's fine.
It's a good looking machine for an environment and workflow that would suit someone who does not want to "make coffee."

appfrent

#9: Post by appfrent »

- hot water through plastic should be added to list of cons. it's infuriating that they think BPA is the only harmful component in the plastic industry. Well, at least now they accept BPA is harmful.
Forget four M's, four S's are more important :-)- see, sniff, sip and savor....

daddygotcoffee

#10: Post by daddygotcoffee »

I had a chance to get hands on with some pre-production units for testing for a couple days at their offices
Dr Strangelove wrote:What this has going for it is the aesthetic, and the shower head dispersion is pressurized."
The shower head pressurization (at higher flow rates) is 100% what this brewer has going for it. At those higher rates it acts almost like a jet creating convection turbulence in the slurry. The center stream is also larger than the surrounding streams to accentuate this action. Lower flow rates produce little/no turbulence.

It's unconventional and I walked in skeptical, but it does work. I brought a refractometer with me and without any dialing in I had their stock recipes pulling at around 19% without intervention.

Looks - not for everyone but I like em personally.

Capacity - the brewer won't activate a recipe unless there is enough water in the tank, by weight.

Temp - Can NOT change temps mid recipe. It's a kettle style heat, not a thermoblock.

Plastic - water tank is tritan and everything else is to the same standards as baby bottles. Some will still exclude because of plastic I'm sure.

Happy to answer any questions based on my (limited) experience with it. I'm also working on getting a unit to put through more rigorous testing at home. I THINK this may happen before the conclusion of the campaign.

If anyone is curious, look up the Samantha. It's basically the same thing for a commercial setting that is reasonably popular in Asia and has a lot more information on it.
Coffee Content Creator @daddygotcoffee