Hiring a "consultant" to taste and diagnose my pour over - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Ben Z.

#11: Post by Ben Z. »

I'm sure it's something you considered, but is there a chance you've exceeded the 9000 cup lifetime flavor limit?

Drewskie (original poster)

#12: Post by Drewskie (original poster) »

Where can I learn more about how to do the salami brew? I should probably just Google it, right?

ojt

#13: Post by ojt »

Just brew straight into cups, and switch the brewer between cups between pours. Three pours, three cups, and so on.
Osku

pGolay

#14: Post by pGolay »

FWIW, I find I tend, over time, to slowly increase the amount of coffee I use (because I am not weighing every time I make coffee, I have a 'by-eye' mark that gets me close without the faff of weighing). When I notice, once in a while, that it does not taste so good, I check and when I bring it back into the 'range' (~65g per 1000 of water) it all works better again.

Still not weighing though. =)
-PG

RTOBarista
Supporter ★

#15: Post by RTOBarista »

I would recommend Daniel at Klatch coffee in Redondo Beach. I did a private lesson to appreciate tasting at the Shop. He will come to your home. He recently came up as finalist in pour over at coffee meeting in Portland.

#16: Post by Drewskie (original poster) »

Ben Z. wrote:I'm sure it's something you considered, but is there a chance you've exceeded the 9000 cup lifetime flavor limit?
I actually have thought about that, or that I simply just ruined my pallate.

skink91

#17: Post by skink91 replying to Drewskie »

You never answered my original response... have you gone to a respected coffee shop for a coffee yet to see if you no longer enjoy coffee? Seems like the easiest solution that you are ignoring unless I am missing something.

portamento

#18: Post by portamento »

If you think back to when you last had a pourover or filter coffee that excited you (maybe this was at a cafe), what did it taste like? In other words, what kind of flavors are you chasing?

What coffees/roasters are you brewing now?
Ryan

#19: Post by Drewskie (original poster) »

skink91 wrote:You never answered my original response... have you gone to a respected coffee shop for a coffee yet to see if you no longer enjoy coffee? Seems like the easiest solution that you are ignoring unless I am missing something.
I sort of did . Went to a shop but supposedly their Kettle was broken so we had to get a drip coffee. It was definitely nothing special, but had more flavor than the coffee I make at home.
I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but there's a definite reason I'm not going to a coffee shop, not that I'm being stubborn.

#20: Post by Drewskie (original poster) »

portamento wrote:If you think back to when you last had a pourover or filter coffee that excited you (maybe this was at a cafe), what did it taste like? In other words, what kind of flavors are you chasing?

What coffees/roasters are you brewing now?
It's honestly been so long that I can't remember. But.... For probably 7 years or so I was making excellent pour overs daily. At the time, I could tell what was wrong by simply tasting the coffee, whether it was a little over extracted, under extracted, water wasn't hot enough, etc. I was able to tweak it the following day and make a good cup. Now though, no matter what I change it's just blend and boring.
I work at a grocery store with a very high quality coffee selection and I mostly drink sample bags from the roasters, some of which are considered the best roasters in LA, so I really don't think it's the coffee although it's possible.