Help - EK43 stall / produces too much fines? - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Eiern

#21: Post by Eiern »

I haven't tasted LU and Mizen in EKs side by side of course. Both wouldn't be bad choices and depend on what you like or not about the stock EK presentation.

Senfromsydney (original poster)

#22: Post by Senfromsydney (original poster) »

Thanks very much!

My ek43 stock coffee burr is causing stalling issue almost every brew. I hope it's because of the burr still under seasoning phase.

Will do more research on the AliExpress copy burr.

dimka323

#23: Post by dimka323 »

Eiern wrote:I would go LU for the EK for my own taste. And they need some seasoning to lose a harsh edge of astringency and bitterness. Mizen need less. Mizen would probably be a little closer in presentation to the stock burrs and usually brewed a little bit slower than most SSPs. For me SSP has the edge in clarity and acidity, Mizen was a little more toned down/mellowed out without losing too much clarity, like a nudge toward cast presentation.

There's also the cheap gold "SPP" (now fixed to "Copy SSP") which is is a little similar to Mizen but same amount of prebreakers each side. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004895191564.html Haven't tasted them personally.
Why not Titus brew burrs?

Eiern

#24: Post by Eiern »

Brew are nice but I got the impression original poster was interested in buying LU in Australia.

#25: Post by Senfromsydney (original poster) »

Yes. But if Titus brew highly recommended?

Also, I've finally found the issue with my ek43 with long tbt or stalling. It's the bloody stock burr that produces too much fines.

I got my self a cheap sifter from 3bomber, ek43 set at 13.5. I still managed to get rid of around 2g of fines below the 500microns filter.

My brew now super fast / about the same as my c40 grinder brew time.

Eiern

#26: Post by Eiern »

Brew is super nice but it' also a very special burr. It's high clarity, high acidity, lower body, more tea-like, punishing to bean quality/roast/defects, low forgiveness. Newer revisions might be a little less extreme than my early one. SSP has tweaked them and I know owners of new sets can build pressure for espresso with them while early sets like mine can't.

So while I have loved it for over two years in my EK now it's worth to have a second option around that's a bit more "normal" and forgiving. And know what you're getting into, if you want that presentation as a daily driver.

PPapa

#27: Post by PPapa »

Senfromsydney wrote:Yes. But if Titus brew highly recommended?

Also, I've finally found the issue with my ek43 with long tbt or stalling. It's the bloody stock burr that produces too much fines.

I got my self a cheap sifter from 3bomber, ek43 set at 13.5. I still managed to get rid of around 2g of fines below the 500microns filter.

My brew now super fast / about the same as my c40 grinder brew time.
I wouldn't rule out alignment, rather than the burrs (or both).

Can you borrow a Titus alignment tool? Marker test can be done but it's a bit more laborious.

Tightening front plate supposedly also can cause alignment, either get a torque wrench (3nm) or apply evenly...

#28: Post by Senfromsydney (original poster) »

Can you please share me what are the screws I need to get?

No I can't find a Titus bc unfortunately. My next thing to do is to get some beans to run through and see if it's good.

Alignment was tedious but I think I found the spots to shim.

Otherwise I think Titus bc would be my next purchase.

#29: Post by Senfromsydney (original poster) »

Eiern wrote:Brew is super nice but it' also a very special burr. It's high clarity, high acidity, lower body, more tea-like, punishing to bean quality/roast/defects, low forgiveness. Newer revisions might be a little less extreme than my early one. SSP has tweaked them and I know owners of new sets can build pressure for espresso with them while early sets like mine can't.

So while I have loved it for over two years in my EK now it's worth to have a second option around that's a bit more "normal" and forgiving. And know what you're getting into, if you want that presentation as a daily driver.
I only use my ek for pour over. I really like to chase for clarity. I have the c40 I m happy with the "body" that coming out of it. May be I can mixed two grinds together in one cup 8) :lol: