Help - EK43 stall / produces too much fines? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Senfromsydney (original poster)

#11: Post by Senfromsydney (original poster) »

Thanks for replying.

I think I am trying to find out why my brew clog whenever I'm using the EK43, the tbt above was just there for a reference.

Sorry English is not my native :wink:

My brew with the ek43 without using drip assist will always stall and ended up taste dryness in the cup.

I'm assuming it's the burrs that produces a lot of fines that need seasoning. After one month, I did another alignment and still it stalls my brew.

So I guess I should change the question to, it is true that the ek43 stock burrs will require a lot of beans to season to reach the ideal grinds for pour over?

erik82

#12: Post by erik82 »

Yes they do need a lot of coffee to season it (around 20-30kg but should be fine at around 10kg) but for pourover that shouldn't be a big issue. Maybe for espresso when your near burr rub and things are changing a lot but pourover should be ok right out of the box. And it's weird that the brews stall as those 98mm burrs should give a good unimodal grindsize and it should stall on the Commandante, not the EK43.

Maybe others now the specific quircks of the EK43 but as far as I know it should just work fine. Have you tried normal V60 filters? I do know my Cafec light roast filters clog really easily and can stall completely with the least amount of agitation.

#13: Post by Senfromsydney (original poster) »

Hi Erik, thanks for replying.

I tried most filter paper except Subarist and the abaca filter.

Even Kalita filter drawdown slow too on with the EK43.

I tried to grind espresso and I need at least #2.5/16 dial. This tells me that with closer to zero, it's basically overly fine.
So I'm assuming my ek43 produces too much fines still.

Eiern

#14: Post by Eiern »

I've had an EK43 and EK43S at home each with their own post 15 burr set (seasoned of course) and the stock burrs are not low fines at all and I rarely got fast brews with any of those. Just go by taste and if you have a slow bean be careful with pouring/agitation.

I sold my stock EK burrs in the end as I have enjoyed most if not all SSP burrs more, most of those brew a little faster too.

#15: Post by Senfromsydney (original poster) »

I was very closed to buy the ssp red speed LU burr as it's the only burr I can get in Australia.

I'm also thinking of getting the burr carrier from Titus but everything is getting so expensive :lol: :lol:

I will give it another few months to see how it perform, otherwise I will get the LU burr.

erik82

#16: Post by erik82 »

Why get the LU and not the HU or maybe even better the Option-O Mizen. You dont have to order in Australia and can just order directly from SSP. No sense in getting a lesser burrset for your needs because it's the only one available in your country. And Option-O is based in Australia :wink: .

#17: Post by Senfromsydney (original poster) »

Isn't HU for espresso and LU for Brewing?

LU cost me around AUD 490.00 if I'm buying here from the dealer. Direct from the SSP gonna cost me more.

What is the Mizen burr from Option O suitable for? It's sold out atm on the website.

Eiern

#18: Post by Eiern »

LU was a more brew focused burr vs. HU, larger outfall, some LU owners can't even pull spro with them at chirp/zero. SSP do slightly alter their burrs and different coatings can make a slight impact as well as grinder they're in, alignment, auger or not, RPM, basket, flow debit etc.

Not everyone love LU filter and not everyone love HU filter though.

I beta tested the 98 Mizen, while I found them pretty nice in my P100 at lower speeds I found they got a little flat in acidity in my EK.

#19: Post by Senfromsydney (original poster) »

I will only be using my ek43 for pour over, would you recommend LU or should I wait for the Mizen from option o?

Eiern

#20: Post by Eiern »

I would go LU for the EK for my own taste. And they need some seasoning to lose a harsh edge of astringency and bitterness. Mizen need less. Mizen would probably be a little closer in presentation to the stock burrs and usually brewed a little bit slower than most SSPs. For me SSP has the edge in clarity and acidity, Mizen was a little more toned down/mellowed out without losing too much clarity, like a nudge toward cast presentation.

There's also the cheap gold "SPP" (now fixed to "Copy SSP") which is is a little similar to Mizen but same amount of prebreakers each side. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004895191564.html Haven't tasted them personally.