Help choosing immersion brewer

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Earthy

#1: Post by Earthy »

Hello everyone,

I have been doing espresso for years, but never got into pour over. I have an aeropress, but was never happy with my results, though admittedly I didn't try very hard. However, I do love the taste of my coffees when I cup them (light roasts mostly). So I would like to have that same experience and the recent wave of immersion brewers seems to fit the bill.

I will likely fall down the rabbit hole, but for now, can you recommend between the Hario Switch and the Pulsar (I know its not in wide use yet)? When I read about these no bypass brewers, all the talk is about extraction. I don't really care about the numbers, its reproducing the flavors I get in cupping that matters, and the ease of doing so as a first try.

Please let me know if I'm not on the right track.

Thanks!

rmongiovi

#2: Post by rmongiovi »

One issue that's important to me, possibly because I'm a lazy SOB, is the ease of cleanup. I prefer brewers that use a paper filter like the Clever or Switch for two reasons. Since there's some possibility that coffee oils are bad for your cholesterol and paper filters are supposed to help with that I prefer them although they arguably have an impact on taste. Additionally I really like being able to wrap up my used grounds in the paper and toss them in the trash. Cleaning out any immersion brewer that doesn't have a paper filter that you can wrap around the grounds and throw away seems like a real mess and impossible to do without getting at least some grounds down the drain (which I also want to avoid).

Earthy (original poster)

#3: Post by Earthy (original poster) »

I could see how that would be important. Especially considering that the pulsar in white may be prone to discoloration.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

If you like the taste of a, ah, cupping cup, then how about the Cupping Brewer? It was really pricey when it was introduced years ago, then it was re-made as the Rattleware Cupping Brewer at a much better price, and earlier this year the Cupping Brewer was re-launched: https://cuppingbrewer.com/products/cupping-brewer

(If I want a brew that tastes like a cupping cup but want more coffee and no grit, then I'll pull out one of my Espro presses.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Earthy (original poster)

#5: Post by Earthy (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:If you like the taste of a, ah, cupping cup, then how about the Cupping Brewer? It was really pricey when it was introduced years ago, then it was re-made as the Rattleware Cupping Brewer at a much better price, and earlier this year the Cupping Brewer was re-launched: https://cuppingbrewer.com/products/cupping-brewer
That's brilliant! I guess I can't expect to get any closer to what I was describing than that.

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

If you want clear, use paper filters with the Clever or Switch; if you want turbid, use a mesh filter. You can "knock out" a mesh filter much like a PF, so it's less of the mess than a French Press style brewer.
Jim Schulman

Earthy (original poster)

#7: Post by Earthy (original poster) replying to another_jim »

I suppose that's what I was wondering without expressing it. Would an immersion in a switch or clever be any different to it in a pulsar? Perhaps the bypass would make them less astringent?

another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

I don't have experience with the pulsar, but from what I see, it looks like a mix and match steep & perolate brewer so It will do anything a Clever or pour over can do. The drawback, unless you're into it, is that it is very hands on.
Jim Schulman

rjvelasquezm

#9: Post by rjvelasquezm »

This might be your best bet for a cupping style coffee.

Its a french press but putting a paper filter over the plunger, simple and cheap!

https://coffeechronicler.com/how-to-mak ... ss-recipe/

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

Any brewer using a paper filter will not taste like a cupping cup, as some proportion of oils and acids will remain in the paper and in the coffee bed. (That's also why people with high cholesterol are sometimes advised to use paper-filtered pourover.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada