Help brewing with Blue Bottle dripper

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
hermano

#1: Post by hermano »

I typically brew with an aeropress original recipe, but started getting into pour over with a v60. So, I tried the bluebottle dripper, and wow it came out sour. I followed the directions perfectly. Anybody have any ideas what happened? Only vague variable is grind size, I had my comandante set at 26

nrh

#2: Post by nrh »

The Blue Bottle Dripper is more like a Kalita Wave 185 than a V60.

Maybe try something like this:

http://www.georgehowellcoffee.com/brew- ... alita-185/
Nick H.

clc12rock

#3: Post by clc12rock »

I have really enjoyed the BB Dripper, but recently it's made all of my cups taste like pepper and it's from the filters. Anyone else having this problem? I always prewet, but I know it says you don't need to with these filters. I'm gonna try not prewetting and see if that helps.

Capac

#4: Post by Capac »

You definitely wanna pre-wet the filters - I haven't come across any filter that imparts absolutely no taste.

If you're suspecting that filters taste funky, just soak them in some hot water and taste the water.

I'd go for a pulse pour in BB dripper - bloom + 3-4 equal or near equal stages, 30 second intervals.

Whats the method you tried and the amount of coffee you used? If you dumped it in quite quickly and used a little amount of coffee, 26 is too coarse.