Hario Water Flow Restrictor - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Sam21

#11: Post by Sam21 »

I've been using the Barismo restrictor for over a year on the stove. Works like a charm. I use it for all V60s and Woodnecks, but take it out for other brewing like the Aeropress and CCD, because the water comes out too slow. I love it.

MSH

#12: Post by MSH »

Sam21 wrote:I've been using the Barismo restrictor for over a year on the stove. Works like a charm. I use it for all V60s and Woodnecks, but take it out for other brewing like the Aeropress and CCD, because the water comes out too slow. I love it.
Sam, after I saw your Gicleur recommendation on another thread a couple months back I went to the Barismo site to try and order, but they were out of stock. Looks like they are still out of stock....
http://barismo.com/equipment/accessorie ... od_32.html

Guess I'll email to get an ETA on when they anticipate getting more in

PaikMan

#13: Post by PaikMan »

Is the one offered by espressoparts the same as the one from barismo? I've never actually seen a photo of barismo's restrictor, just the simple graphic on their site. Anyone use both of them? If so, any performance differences?

Sam21

#14: Post by Sam21 replying to PaikMan »

They are different. The one offered by Barismo is a teflon plug that fits snuggly into the neck's base inside the kettle. It slows the flow down to about 100ml/15sec with the kettle running at full speed. This makes V60 pouring very simple. I can pour 240ml of water over a 1:20 with no pausing or stopping. Just a nice steady stream. The restrictor turns the Buono from a good kettle into a fantastic kettle.

As I said, I still remove the restrictor when using it for other methods like the aeropress and CCD, because the flow is too slow to use for them.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by yakster »

I picked up a GA4004 strainer from Amazon to play with. It's a loose fit but seems to work with my olive oil kettle turned pouring kettle. I may have to pinch the spout so it doesn't come out with hot water.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by dumpshot »

Just got my funny lookin' brass restrictor from espressoparts. It really does work great. The way I describe it is that is pours the way I want to when I am really trying. Thanks for the resource, Henry! Barismo has been out of stock for months on their version and I never would have known about this one without your post and pictures.

Plus, I gotta admit, it just looks cool and there aren't too many $6 accessories in this hobby that make a difference.

Pete
LMWDP #484

rlevine

#17: Post by rlevine »

Can someone provide a link to this item on espressoparts? I can't seem to find it. Maybe I'm crazy.

Thanks.
Randy

yakster
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by yakster »

Espressoparts link for their Water Inlet Filter Screen here.

It's the same part as the Aprilaire / Generalaire 4004 humidifier strainer part I picked up from Amazon and prevents scale or other particles from getting sucked into a pump. In this case, it's used as a flow restrictor for a pouring kettle.

I've noticed that it significantly slows down the flow in my improvised pouring kettle and it doesn't seem to matter that it wouldn't fit at the base and only at the tip. The only inconvenience is that I've stopped using a pitcher and funnel to fill my Gaggia Factory and now it takes longer to fill up my espresso machine using my pouring kettle.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by dumpshot »

W_378 is the part number. It is called a 'water inlet/vibratory pump filter screen'.

Don't worry. It took me a long time to find it, too. It is $6.18 on espressoparts, but only $2.xx at filtersfast.com. Look up ga4004 on amazon.

Pete

**Oops - looks like yakster beat to it with the same info just minutes ahead.
LMWDP #484

rlevine

#20: Post by rlevine »

yakster wrote:...it doesn't seem to matter that it wouldn't fit at the base and only at the tip....
So does it sit at the base of the neck, down inside the body of the kettle? Or does it sit at the spout, as pictured a few posts up?

-Randy