Hario Filter is different between packs

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by Milligan »

I finished a set of Hario V60 Japanese filters with the tab. I opened a fresh batch ordered from Amazon through the Hario seller. The draw down is quite a bit faster now. Depending on the coffee it can be anywhere from 30-45s faster. This has had an effect on taste. Nothing else has changed other than the filters. I've tried various coffees with the same results. I can adjust my grind to compensate, but not having consistency between the same filter is annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this? Has Hario made a change perhaps?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

I read somewhere a few months ago that there was some change but I do not recall the details.

It was confusing enough already with three different factories and figuring out which factory used which outer packaging (box, loose crinkly bag, tightly-wrapped bag, etc.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Milligan (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

Man, that is disappointing. I'm going to have to play with this quite a bit. I went finer to get my same draw down time but it is undrinkable. Too astringent and bitter. I did an April pour over side by side and it is night and day. The new Hario filters produce a much darker cup so it is letting fines pass through.

May have to find a more reliable source of V60 filters.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

Yeah, filter differences drove people a little batty the first time it happened in 2016:
Did Hario V60 filters change recently? and 2017: Hario USA is going to those tabbed V60 filters for 100 packs and even James Hoffmann did a video on the confusion in 2018.

Back in 2016 I bought a carton of the original factory's filters and I expect to run out sometime in the next five years :lol:

If you want to do your own testing of which filter to switch to, then RogueWave has Sample packs of different V60/cone filters I bought a bunch but haven't worked my way through them.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by baristainzmking »

I only buy the original Japanese filters without a tab that are sold in a pack of 40. They are much faster than other Hario filters.
Julia

Jonk

#6: Post by Jonk replying to baristainzmking »

Those are the one's I often buy. Lately I've heard people receiving different filters in that packaging as well though :(

Cafec Abaca behaves pretty much the same as the original tabless Japanese Hario filters in my experience, so it's a good and sometimes cheaper alternative. Perhaps a bit more environmentally friendly? AFAIK the raw material is. But they need a good rinse so I'm not certain about the total footprint.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by baristainzmking replying to Jonk »

I must still have the old batch as mine perform exactly the same as before. I get my filters from a small trading company and they are cheap. I buy the package of 10 boxes at a time.

Good to know about Cafec Abaca filters!
Julia

Yan

#8: Post by Yan »

Jonk wrote:Cafec Abaca behaves pretty much the same as the original tabless Japanese Hario filters in my experience, so it's a good and sometimes cheaper alternative.
If I'm not mistaken there's 3 Abaca variants, which version have the same quality as the ori hario 40 box edition?

Regular

Roast (Light/ Medium / Dark) profile

Latest the +(plus) version

Jonk

#9: Post by Jonk »

The regular, 100% abaca filters in the first picture. I have not tried the plus version that is only part abaca.

Don't think there's any abaca in their other filters. Those also behave very differently! (personally I like both the light and dark versions, but use them as wildcards once in a while. Not good all-rounders. Don't care much for the medium version, although I know many like it)

Milligan (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

Thanks everyone. I'm mainly concerned with consistency. When I get my setup dialed in the way I like it, I don't want to have to go through the process again every time I buy the same filters. Perhaps I will make a larger purchase next time for a few year's worth of filters in hopes they all come from the same lot. Not sure what the wife will say if I spend $300 on a crate of filter papers :lol: