Hario Filter is different between packs - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Milligan (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#21: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

Brewzologist wrote:Got some Cafec Abaca filters. Compared to my old stash of the Hario boxed tabless filters the Cafecs have a similar heft, opacity and are also creped on both sides. Initial results with several coffees yielded similar draw down times too.
I'll pick up a set of those Abaca filters next time. Truly I'm just looking for a consistent product.

Yan

#22: Post by Yan »

Brewzologist wrote:Got some Cafec Abaca filters. Compared to my old stash of the Hario boxed tabless filters the Cafecs have a similar heft, opacity and are also creped on both sides. Initial results with several coffees yielded similar draw down times too.
Does the taste quite similar in the cups?, if it does next I will try the red abaca, been using several variant from abaca the light roast (get bored after 3 months), medium roast paper are so so and gave to my sister, the trapezoid with Clever Drip result are mediocre (Filtropa paper no. 4 are the best imho).

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by Brewzologist »

I notice no difference in taste between the red Abaca and the Hario tabless with med-light coffees. Filters rinsed first of course.

Yan

#24: Post by Yan replying to Brewzologist »

Nice... thanks for the info.

Jonk

#25: Post by Jonk »

Brewzologist wrote:I notice no difference in taste between the red Abaca and the Hario tabless with med-light coffees. Filters rinsed first of course.
Glad you had the same experience.
Milligan wrote:Truly I'm just looking for a consistent product.
For me, that's true about the Cafec Abaca and Hario tabless both in the sense that they're fairly fast filters not prone to clogging - but also that the resulting cup gets a very neutral profile.

Every time I try a new coffee they're my go to filters. Then sometimes it's fun to try something that skews the profile heavily - like Cafec Light (in my experience emphasis on acidity but strong coffee) and Cafec Dark (bittersweet) - or moderately like Kinto's cotton-paper hybrid (towards siphon). But I'd tire quickly if those were the only ones I had available.

Jazzcat

#26: Post by Jazzcat »

I received in the post the ones made in the Netherlands, not Japan. They have v60 embossed on them, and the flow is significantly slower. I am not sure if they will produce the same cup once dialled in, or should I go back to Japanese original filters which flow faster. I am now forced to grind much coarser and still the drain is above 3:15 for a cup.