Gooseneck kettle for induction cook top

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
MCal2003

#1: Post by MCal2003 »

Purchased a single burner induction cooktop. The now ancient BonaVita electric gooseneck thermal control has gone bonkers. Broke out the even older stovetop Hario gooseneck. It works on the induction cooktop (max 1800 watt spec), but not much quicker heating than the glass top electric range top. Wondering if it is due to ridges vs. solid flat bottom on the Hario? Plus the diameter is just a tad greater than the 5" minimum the induction top recommends. Clueless if assuming identical metal material if thickness of the base matters? Hario is on the thin side.

Any recommendations? Both for and against anything out there that is induction compatible, Hario or Bonavita performance quality.
LMWDP #151

N1ck

#2: Post by N1ck »

I've been using the Hario Buono stainless kettle for a few years now. I use an Thermapen instant read thermometer so its practically faultless (arguably more reliable and accurate than electric temp controlled kettles). Its important to get the stainless version as I believe the copper version is not Induction compatible).

Advertisement
MCal2003 (original poster)

#3: Post by MCal2003 (original poster) »

Have a Thermapen and older Hario stainless. But, using an analog dial thermometer that matches up really close to the Thermapen. Issue is on the induction cook top the time to "boil" is not much faster than the flat top electric range. Guessing the inefficiency is due to the ridges, thin metal, relatively small (sub 15cm diameter base). Picked up a generic, inexpensive, flat bottom, non-gooseneck kettle. Much larger diameter base at 20cm. Heats the water faster than the Hario. Using it for the Flair 58.

At least two variables. The ridges and diameter. Still don't know which or both are the issues with the Hario. Since the cheapo kettle heats up the water faster. Doesn't really matter. The cheapo kettle is less magnetic than the Hario. Wide range of "stainless" steels. Maybe the cheapo has a higher grade? Maybe the outer surface is a layer of lower magnetic metal. Again, doesn't really matter.
LMWDP #151

spressomon

#4: Post by spressomon »

We use the Fino on our at home induction and a couple different induction stoves including one in our little off-the-grid RV trailer and it works great. The one at home gets used multiple times/day.

https://www.amazon.com/Fino-Coffee-Kett ... 8836&psc=1
No Espresso = Depresso

#5: Post by MCal2003 (original poster) replying to spressomon »

Thanks for the link. The cheapo, made in China, AMZ sold kettle I picked up is working fine. Heats up the water quicker than the Hario. Guessing it's the totally flat, larger diameter of the base (~20cm/8").
LMWDP #151

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Pressino »

I have read conflicting information on-line regarding the induction compatability of Hario kettles. Most sites say the kettles are compatable, but I found one (from Hario) saying that (at least this kettle) is not:

https://www.hario-usa.com/products/v60- ... %20brewing

I think the issue may be that some kettles have bottoms that are more corrugated than others, possibly ones that were designed before induction cooktops became more common. Because the inductive field generated by the cooktops attentuates rapidly with distance from the cooktop surface, induction cookware is designed with the flattest bottoms possible. Corrugated bottoms (made of inducible materials) will still heat, but not as efficiently.

It's possible the older Harios corrugated bottoms actually heated more efficiently over gas stovetops... :)

#7: Post by MCal2003 (original poster) »

I think "compatible" is more a marketing term. Just like labeling things as "stainless" steel. Basically any kettle that has a base of magnetic steel, iron should work. Efficiency? My impressions are flat, the more magnetic, and a larger bottom diameter up to the max diameter recommended for your induction element will be the most efficient. There are at least 4 families of stainless steels and various grades within. 316 is almost "non" magnetic, 304 slightly more.....400 series are supposedly the more magnetic. Maybe Hario has used different families, grades of stainless? My old corrugated bottom Hario is magnetic. Again, guessing the corrugated bottom and small diameter is why it is relatively inefficient in heating water using the induction cooktop.
LMWDP #151

Advertisement
meshkaffe

#8: Post by meshkaffe »

There is no need to guess, that is the reason why.

It's a bit to silly to think that a cheapo kettle not manufactured to any standard is higher quality than a hario because it heats faster.

Chert

#9: Post by Chert »

I'm pleased with use of my takahiro 900 mL kettle on my induction cooktop. Water heats very quickly.
LMWDP #198

jedovaty

#10: Post by jedovaty replying to Chert »

I've got one as well, and recently tried it on a borrowed induction stovetop appliance thing. Not only was it much faster than on my gas burner, I could also hold the handle without a towel, it did not get hot! The drawback: the appliance had a very loud fan, and ended up just using the stovetop instead.