Good tutorial for French Press? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Intrepid510

#11: Post by Intrepid510 »

For a nice standard tutorial I like coffeegeek's https://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/presspot

coffeeman88

#12: Post by coffeeman88 »

This is some very interesting technique

whit461

#13: Post by whit461 »

Hi all. We're new to this wonderful world and figuring it all out as we go. Last week all we had was a Moka Pot to start on our journey, found a good local roaster who would talk to us and teach us, and bought a cheap burr grinder (while we wait on the new Lido2??). Then this weekend we went and bought a French press to replace our drip coffee maker for our morning coffee. Based on a bunch of tutorials, and a lot of experimenting this weekend, we have ended up with a great tasting cup, at least to us, by using 55g of coffee beans (Ethiopian single origin), we grind it coarse, with 32oz of water. The Coffeegeek tutorial said 8.6g of coffee per 4 oz water. I like strong coffee, and will try that ratio, but does it sound right? I am learning it is all about in the cup.
Mangia, bene, bici

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#14: Post by RapidCoffee »

It's much easier to specify a coffee:water ratio if you use comparable units. Most non-espresso brewing methods (including French press) do well with a ratio of about 1:17 (i.e., 1 gram coffee per 17 grams water).

55g:32oz => 1:17 ratio - it's not surprising that this works well.
8.6g:4oz => 1:14 ratio - this is stronger than most recommend, but not unreasonable. Some AeroPress recipes call for ratios as low as 1:10 (using a fine grind and very short brew times).

Bottom line: experiment and use whatever ratio tastes best to you.
John

SJM

#15: Post by SJM »

Has anyone used the Hario double-wall glass FP?
http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Coffee-Doub ... B0092UDYLQ

I keep wondering if there is something my Bodum stainless steel double wall imparts to the flavor that the glass would not.

MWJB

#16: Post by MWJB replying to SJM »

I have, for the last few days, been doing simultaneous steeps in a glass Bodum Brazil and the double walled stainless Bodum Columbia (same coffee, grind, steep time & just because I don't have a single French press that will take 1300g). There is a very subtle difference between them, that it may be reasonable to attribute to the steel, but it's not necessarily a negative, just subtly different & largely only noticeable because I have the 2 side by side...in perhaps the way that a plated aluminium moka pot may impart a slight character? I very much enjoy the brews from both & wouldn't class any change in flavour as defective.

Just my anecdotal thoughts. Personally, I prefer to brew in the biggest pot available & with as much brew mass as possible. I'd recommend a thorough pre-heat of smaller/double walled pots.

SJM

#17: Post by SJM »

Well I just ordered the Hario double walled glass and will be able to decide for myself when I put it up against the 34 ounce Bodum Presso (double walled stainless....).

Did I need it?
YES I did....:-))))

Of course by the time it gets here I may well have changed my FP methodology just enough that it won't matter, but....it will still be a pretty addition to the collection.

Susan

SJM

#18: Post by SJM »

Okay the Hario hasn't arrived and I already know it's going back. How did I miss how small it's volume is? I dunno, but I did.

So, how I have a different question: If I were to go with a Chambord, is there any reason that making an insulated cozy of some sort wouldn't do just as good a job of keeping the brew warm enough as the double glass does?

Susan

MWJB

#19: Post by MWJB »

What size Chambord are you going for? Insulated presses are great, but the bigger you go the more the mass of the water also helps retain the heat. A brew with 800g of brew water will stay "hot" hot for half an hour in single wall glass pot. But no harm in trying the cosy idea.

SJM

#20: Post by SJM »

I've got the Bodum Presso (stainless double-wall) in a 34 ounce, so I was thinking of adding the glass 51 ounce Chambord to the collection. Double wall doubles the price...

Susan