Goldilocks Kettle

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
mbbrew

#1: Post by mbbrew »

What is everyone brewing with? I have a few and can't seem to find exactly what I want. I've got a Bonavita variable temp, a Stagg EKG, and a stovetop Buono. The Bonavita is probably my favorite to use but heats slow and I wouldn't mind slightly more flow control. The Stagg of course heats fast and has lots of flow restriction, and I've moved towards using recipes with a pour that is faster than what I can with it and have subsequently burned my hand many times, and the capacity is like 40mL too small for what I brew for my thermos when I am working on a site other than my main one. I use the Buono for travel where I know I'll be able to have access to heat, and have a manual thermo in my grinder kit. I like how it pours and capacity but would like something with temperature control, plus is super slow to heat on a gas stove.

The Brewista looks closest I think, but I saw that it has a high minimum water fill, which probably offsets the faster boiling. Also considered trying to find the electric Buono to import but I have heard mixed reviews about how the electric version pours. Is there one that I am missing?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Keep your eyes on Electric Kettle Recommendation as well. A different set of desires, but perhaps something there catches your eye.

European kettles are great, but typical North American limitations of ~1500 W kept one from ever sneaking its way into my luggage on the way home.

mbbrew (original poster)

#3: Post by mbbrew (original poster) replying to Jeff »

Thanks, I'll follow there, maybe should have asked in advice. I didn't see much searching for kettles either.

Robph914

#4: Post by Robph914 »

If you want more flow control with the Bonavita, try their flow restrictor. When you buy one, you get multiple sizes - one for the electric kettle, and the other for their stovetop one. I dig the one I have! https://www.wholelattelove.com/products ... restrictor

CathyWeeks

#5: Post by CathyWeeks »

There's a Fellow kettle with a much faster spout, intended for tea brewing. It's called the Raven kettle.

https://fellowproducts.com/products/raven

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by cpreston »

I had the same issue. I like my Fellow Corvo EKG electric kettle. Very fast, very accurate. Holds temp more closely than my Bonavita did.

pham

#7: Post by pham »

consider a small and cheap separate induction burner to use with the stovetop. Not entirely sure if it will work with that specific model or not, but it will boil water the fastest, induction is lightning fast.

jpender

#8: Post by jpender »

pham wrote:consider a small and cheap separate induction burner to use with the stovetop. Not entirely sure if it will work with that specific model or not, but it will boil water the fastest, induction is lightning fast.
How much faster?

I see 1800W standalone induction cooktops on amazon for under $60 (add another $30 or so for a compatible kettle). My $40 electric kettle is only 1500W and it boils a liter in a little over 4.5 minutes. If an 1800W induction cooktop+kettle were 90% efficient it would still take 3.5 minutes and the efficiency is probably less. That's certainly faster but not lightning fast. A 220V outlet and a 2400W kettle from Europe or Australia would be the ticket for speed.

And with induction you'd have a hot kettle that you wouldn't be able to just plop down anywhere like you can with an electric kettle.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

jpender wrote:... A 220V outlet and a 2400W kettle from Europe or Australia would be the ticket for speed.
3kW kettles are available.

I hate waiting for water to boil :wink:.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

jpender

#10: Post by jpender »

baldheadracing wrote:3kW kettles are available.
That's good to know. If only I had a 220V outlet in my kitchen...