Going from french press to pour over

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
sosha
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by sosha »

I'm lucky enough to have been gifted a Ratio Eight this holiday season. It's a beautiful piece of art, and I've been excited to move from my trusty Espro press to a cleaner cup. But I've run into a problem: the coffee from the R8 seem to be much harder on my stomach. This is completely unexpected. I'm following the guidelines from Clive Coffee (coarse grind), and am using familiar coffee from B&W.

Any thoughts from the crew here are appreciated.
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Try a lower dose. Press retains full strength coffee in the grounds reducing the strength by about two points (double the weight of the coffee) compared to pour over which washes the solubales out of the coffee leaving behind much more diluted retained liquid absorbed by the grounds.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
sosha (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by sosha (original poster) »

So, Clive says 40oz (1.2L) water for 70g coarsely ground coffee. What adjustments do you suggest, Chris?
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Hmm, I just brewed 1.2 l with 80 g, but I like it kinda strong, 15:1 water/coffee. How strong does 17:1 taste to you? Dial in for taste. What ratio do you use for press?

Are you using a paper or metal filter?

I'm not sure what else would cause this reaction.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

sosha (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by sosha (original poster) »

I'm using a Kone with it. Been playing with it, and have found a sweet spot: about 850ml to 65g coffee. 13:1? I'm such a wuss. :x
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

Not at all, Patty, you're using more coffee / less water than I am so you clearly like a strong cup. Glad to hear you've got it dialed in.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

winslette

#7: Post by winslette »

sosha wrote:I'm using a Kone with it. Been playing with it, and have found a sweet spot: about 850ml to 65g coffee. 13:1? I'm such a wuss. :x
How do you like the Kone with the R8? I've always been interested in how a pour over would taste with a metal filter rather than the paper ones.

Advertisement
sosha (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by sosha (original poster) »

Never tried it with paper.
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com