Frustrated Hario V60 brewer

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
coffeebattie

#1: Post by coffeebattie »

Hello,

i never thought that i would make a frustrated topic about my Hario V60, right now i'm having a love-hate relationship with it :D :x
I've made some nice cups with my Hario,but since I got new fresh beans or since I repainted (and took out parts) of my Mazzer SJ i can't get my extraction time less than 3 minutes. I Think that i keep my variables pretty consistent, except last few times since im hopeless trying to get my extraction time less than 3 min ( stir, no stir... pulse pour or continuing pour)

I always write down my my results and settings (ratio, grinding settings, time) so i know about my previous pours and can see the differences in variables and the effects of it.

Right now i'm using a grinding settings of 8.6, which looks like Medium (-coarse) ground for me;

When i brew with my Hario I use the following variables;

400 ml water
25 gr beans (ratio 1/16)
--------------
50 gr bloom for 30 seconds
Pulse pour from center to edges (not on edges but around) until my scale hits the 400 gr

When i look back at my results i wrote down i'm pretty surprised, it's just not logical. With all variables (400ml water + 25gr beans + bloom and pulse pour) being consistent except my grinding settings it looks like this;

Grinding setting---------time (min)
8.2------- 4.00
8.4-------2.45 (coarser so logical, although a big difference with just 2 steps courses)
8.6-------3.00 (?)
8.8-------2.40
9.1(!)----3.00
Now i tried 8.6 and it was around 3 minutes again, when i look on the pictures I think i shouldn't do any finer grind? With my previous beans (Sidamo) i kept my grinding settings at 8.5 which resulted in a extraction time of 2.20 which i was happy with...

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

Hi. By chance, did you recently open a new box of filters? This has been an issue for many.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster replying to jbviau »

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

johnny4lsu

#4: Post by johnny4lsu »

Prima Coffee has the original filters. I just got a shipment of 800 of them.

turtle

#5: Post by turtle »

I find that I use Chemex filters more often than I use the OEM Hario ones.

I have found them to be extremely consistent batch to batch and I can source them locally.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

coffeebattie (original poster)

#6: Post by coffeebattie (original poster) »

Not really, i do have the newer ones but didnt use them yet. My pouring time is around 1.30 minutes but my drawdown time is like 2 minutes sometimes even longer and it's only a little dripping.

However since i repainted my SJ its making a weird noise, could this be my bearings and influence my grinding? I made a video and i hope someone can tell me this cause...

CoffeeBar

#7: Post by CoffeeBar »

It could be your bearing or alignment?? :?

wsfarrell

#8: Post by wsfarrell »

That grinder sounds 100% normal to me. The burrs are probably touching at one small point in the rotation. If you open them up a bit, I'd bet the chirping sound goes away.

LukeFlynn

#9: Post by LukeFlynn »

I had that noise on my Major, twice. One time I think it was from a screw being slightly loose and it was "grazing?" the lower burr.. totally wore those out. The other time was burr misalignment from over tightening one of the screws.

CoffeeBar

#10: Post by CoffeeBar »

Hi coffeebattie,

I have heard people said The Kalita Wave dripper is easy to get consistency brewing. So maybe you can try them. :D