Finding balanced cup in pour over (V60). - Page 13

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Ejquin

Postby Ejquin » Feb 20, 2019, 2:35 pm

The melodrip is very useful for this - You can pour water into in stages and it helps ensure the grinds are equally getting saturated, gently, and helps keep the water level consistently low. People who have measured extractions with it are surprised the extractions are so high, considering there is very little turbulence. It gives a very well extracted and clean cup. I love using it together with the origami dripper with kalita wave filters.

tv79

Postby tv79 » Feb 22, 2019, 12:55 am

Ejquin wrote:The melodrip is very useful for this - You can pour water into in stages and it helps ensure the grinds are equally getting saturated, gently, and helps keep the water level consistently low.

Out of curiosity, have you tried using the Melodrip with fewer pours than they recommend in their recipes? IIRC they recommend 6 or so pours with a total brew time of 4:30. I'm wondering if MD is also effective with a bare kettle bloom + MD "slow and low" approach, where you're pouring near continuously, total brew time ~2:30.

Ejquin

Postby Ejquin » replying to tv79 » Feb 22, 2019, 3:47 pm

Yes. Where I've settled at now is basically just try and keep the water level just above the grounds and each time I pour I try and evenly saturate the whole bed. So I'm basically doing one circle around the whole bed each time I pour and waiting for the water level to just drain below the coffee line. I still make a lot of pours and the total brew time is usually just under 4 minutes, but I've liked this approach vs. the pouring 10 grams of water at a time approach. I also stopped pouring anything bare kettle, I use the melodrip for the bloom as and the entire brew time.

namelessone

Postby namelessone » Mar 14, 2019, 8:22 am

The following are all myths and do not really matter

* Stirring during bloom
* The rao spin/stir
* Having flat bed at end of the brew
* Pouring in spirals - always just pouring in the centre is fine

Almost all the extraction in drip brews is through washing the surface, there isn't much diffusion happening so almost nothing happens during a drawdown. Whether you have flat bed in the end or not has no effect on the flavour. Unless of course you listen to the "evenness of extraction" gospel from certain coffee professionals. Messing with the slurry by shaking / stirring only pushes more silt into your brew. Also any serious agitation late in the brew seems to extract lot of astringent flavours regardless of grind size, I don't really know the cause for this.

What matters:

* grind size and temperature (for obvious reasons)
* pouring speed and number of pours

Did you know that SCA has a comprehensive evenness of extraction test where they actually dry and test samples from different parts of the brew?
And brewers such as Moccamaster pass this test even though they don't stir or shake or do any of the things recommended. Have any of these people recommending evenness of extraction done any such tests?

Source: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/584f6bbef5e23149e5522201/t/59a58937b8a79b5f57c7aded/1504020963290/SCA+Uniformity+of+Extraction+Procedure+%282%29.pdf

Zephyp

Postby Zephyp » replying to namelessone » Mar 17, 2019, 5:46 am

Interesting post, namelessone. If that's true, why do we have all these recipes using those techniques? I understabd that in a world of enthusiasts you will always get something different, but I don't think I've ever seen any recipe following those guidelines.

Is that how you brew?

Won't you get some channeling if you only pour in the center? Most auto-drippers got more holes creating a shower head, which most brewing manually don't have.

I understand that auto-drips pass this test, but does that produce better coffee than recipes using the techniques you called myths? Since you can control more of the brew process, couldn't those techniques have been introduced to achieve even better or at least more consistent results?

namelessone

Postby namelessone » Mar 17, 2019, 7:44 am

Well you are welcome to test as well, not doing any stirring/tapping does require adjusting grind size (typically to the finer side), but I didn't find the cups getting less tasty or extracting lower once you compensate for the agitation. I think channeling is only an issue if some parts of the bed didn't get wet at all but likely not to be a problem if you're doing a bloom. Again doing testing is really only way to know, I just like the idea of minimizing the number of steps / concerns to get to where I want.

Zephyp

Postby Zephyp » Mar 17, 2019, 9:14 am

Tried one just now. 14.4/240. 30g pour, 35x6 pours in the middle. Drawdown around 2:45 and a pretty even bed. A little sunken in the middle. Made quite a good cup. I don't know if my grind and pours are ideal right now, but there was nothing wrong with the cup. I'll keep trying this.