Fellows Prismo

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DavidBondy

#1: Post by DavidBondy »

I bought one of these ... It makes using the Aeropress a little less messy but all of their videos and documentation imply that it needs quite a lot of force to open the 'valve' in the middle. Not with mine! As soon as put the plunger section into the outer section, I can hear and feel the valve open.

Could mine be faulty or is that just the way they are? I tried asking them the question but just got back some boilerplate text on how to use it .. not at all useful!
L1 - Compak K10 - Portaspresso Rosco, Rossa TR & HC - Torr Goldfinger

lucasd

#2: Post by lucasd »

The same on mine

DavidBondy (original poster)

#3: Post by DavidBondy (original poster) »

That is comforting to know. I actually quite like using it mainly because it is less messy than using the Aeropress the right way up - although I usually use it inverted with a stainless steel filter!

I now have quite a good compact travelling kit (I travel a lot!) with the Aergrind which does fit nicely inside the Aeropress. I have discarded the funnel and that stupid stirring stick! I just wish that the so-called 'tote bag' was a little bit less flimsy. I may have to fabricate something similar from some stronger material.
L1 - Compak K10 - Portaspresso Rosco, Rossa TR & HC - Torr Goldfinger

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

Used with a paper filter it makes using an Aeropress a lot easier and less messy, but the fact they even hinted a the word espresso in it's description but be only a reflection of that word as used on the original Aeropress box as it seems to hold no more pressure than the paper filter with the original cap.

Ira

Nick Name

#5: Post by Nick Name »

My AeroPress is easier to press down with Prismo than with some other (both Able filters for example) metal filters. I still am very happy with the results I'm getting with Prismo, but calling it even espresso-like is hardly the truth. It produces good coffee (if accompanied with a good grinder obviously) and that's about it.

And what is "espresso-like" in the first place? To me it sounds that 'espresso-like' isn't espresso.
They used to call moka pot "espresso-like". What a joke! And it seems to keep coming back with any new gadget.

What's wrong with calling it "strong filter coffee"? Oh yeah, the fact that you're trying to sell a nickel-and-a-dime-solution to people who should rather get a few thousand dollars worth of real espresso gear to get what they want.

I do like my Prismo though.

namelessone

#6: Post by namelessone »

The main benefits seem to be that you don't need to invert and also prevents leaks from the sides when pushing down. Otherwise it's just a normal Aeropress. Downside is that it doesn't fit quite snugly on the Aeropress funnel and seems a bit messier to clean.