Fellow Stagg Kettle At Costco

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
tennisman03110

#1: Post by tennisman03110 »

Hello,

Has anyone seen before the Fellow Stagg EKG Pour-Over Kettle at Costco? I see it's (at least currently) available for $120 new, with shipping, as a member exclusive item.

Been wondering how much of an upgrade this is from my on/off Boavita. No complaints about it, but I've never used anything better, so maybe it would be worth it.

Billythec

#2: Post by Billythec »

That's a good price, and the bonus is that you can always return it there which is part of their policy. Sometimes EKG has a sale where they offer it for that price online.

I don't know if it's too much of an upgrade from the one that you have. Probably not. Most people really like the design because it is very well done. I really like Power button and the small display that shows the temperature. I think it's weird that it doesn't notify you when it gets to the temperature that's set. I've also noticed that the black finish on both the kettle and the base unit picks up and shows every bit of dust in the kitchen. I do not suggest keeping it adjacent to your flour canister :-)

Dhitter

#3: Post by Dhitter »

Thanks for posting this. Bought one last night once I saw this. Looking forward to it. Looks nice but more importantly, sounds very functional in performance. Much appreciated.
Not knowing how is a fascinating invitation to learn...to grow!

annewaldron

#4: Post by annewaldron »

A difference I am noticing between the Costco (and Fellow website) Stagg kettle and the same kettle on other websites is the temp range. Several other websites show a range of 105-212 F which would be ideal for me for low-temp yeast blooming. However, Costco and Fellow state 135-212 F. I'd assume if Fellow says 135, it's 135, but I'm not sure how so many other sites got it wrong unless they all borrowed heavily from an incorrect source.

Anybody have a Stagg that can confirm the min temp?

GC7
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by GC7 »

Mine comes on Monday. I'll check the temperature range.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

annewaldron wrote:A difference I am noticing between the Costco (and Fellow website) Stagg kettle and the same kettle on other websites is the temp range. Several other websites show a range of 105-212 F which would be ideal for me for low-temp yeast blooming. However, Costco and Fellow state 135-212 F. I'd assume if Fellow says 135, it's 135, but I'm not sure how so many other sites got it wrong unless they all borrowed heavily from an incorrect source.

Anybody have a Stagg that can confirm the min temp?
The minimum temp setting on mine (early production, KS edition) is 104F.

However, the kettle may not be able to hold temperature that low depending on how much water you have in the kettle; I suspect that this is due to the tuning of the PID controller to make the kettle work best in the coffee-brewing temperature range. For example, when set at 104F, the lowest I could heat 250ml of water in mine was 110F (indicated; the measurements were all over the place, from 90F upwards). However, 750ml could be brought to 104F and held (measured and indicated +/- 2F; at coffee temps the EKG will hold to zero indicated (+/- 0.5F)).

I'll guess that Fellow doesn't think that their customers will have studied (and remembered!) the behaviour of the PID algorithm in school, so I suspect that they raised the minimum temp. to avoid complaints.

Again, I have an early model. Current production may well have different specs and behave differently.

Regardless, I wouldn't use a kettle - a sous-vide stick is how I'd keep a constant temp. in ranges below boiling. Something like the Anova Culinary is not much more than the EKG, and offers +/- 0.2F.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

annewaldron

#7: Post by annewaldron » replying to baldheadracing »

I don't remember learning PID algorithm (but I went to art school, so I just remember learning hue, chroma, and value in a very in-depth way :lol: )

I actually have an Anova but that seems like a big tool for that type of thing. When I'm prepping bread making ingredients, it would be awesome to have something to mind the water for me so that I'm not fiddling around trying to get it to the temperature I need in the middle of prep (which I invariably do). So I could see heating 750ml to that temp-ish (I've got a range of 100-110 that's ideal for yeast), using what I need, and then adding to/heating the rest for my next cup of coffee (and THAT water could hold until my bread is prepped!) 8) And I like the idea of same-tool-two-uses.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by baldheadracing » replying to annewaldron »

Sounds like the EKG will be perfect for you, as long as the currently-shipping models also go down as low as mine. Hopefully we'll find out from GC7 next week!
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

PBJ

#9: Post by PBJ »

Mine settles in at 113F (also checked with my Thermapen) when it is set to 104

annewaldron

#10: Post by annewaldron » replying to PBJ »

Thanks for the follow-up- much appreciated!