Favorite cold brew coffee?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Iowa_Boy

#1: Post by Iowa_Boy »

I am struggling to find a coffee for cold brewing that I really like. I feel like I have had much better cold brew coffee in cafes. All of the stuff I have made tastes very average, without much depth of flavor. I am using a kitchenaid cold brewer and using 250 grams of coarse ground coffee in 42 oz of water. I like it brew for 24 hours in the fridge. There is no bitterness, but again flavor seems very muted compared to some of the cafe cold brew I have had. I have also tried drip over ice brewing in my Moccamaster, but it still has an acidity which I don't like.

Any recommendations for your favorite coffee to use for cold brew? To be fair, I have not tried any coffees specifically labelled for cold brew.

Almico

#2: Post by Almico »

There is an article in this months Roast Magazine where experiments were done demonstrating that cold brewing actually enhanced citric, malic and quinic acids compared to hot brew over ice, with similar amounts of lactic and acetic.

I'm not a cold brew fan. It's way too much of a pain, with the only benefit being making bad coffee drinkable.

I use a nice dark roasted SO Brazil for my iced coffee at the bar. It is chocolaty and nutty and completely without bitterness. Since it's a darker roast, low density coffee, it is fairly acid free from the start.

If you don't like acidity in coffee, don't start with a high acid coffee and try muting it in brewing.

def

#3: Post by def »

For cold brew, I like cafecristina.com (medium roast) because it tastes good and because I know the family and I have visited their farm which is a model for growing organic coffee. The price is reasonable at $65 shipped for 5 pounds.