Espresso brew temperature experimentation

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Idfixe

#1: Post by Idfixe »

I recently realized realized I rarely dial in using temp, hence ever touch temp at all...
I'd like to hear about other's approach to espresso brewing temp when dialing in espresso:
- where do you start?
- based on what?
- is temp the first parameter you are moving?
- is it the last?

Thanks

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mkane »

We use a Rocket & the recommendation is just off boil.

Advertisement
mike01

#3: Post by mike01 »

For me, temperature is one of the first things I change when dialing in. I generally look to the roaster for recommendations as a starting point, then adjust to taste. I usually end up within 1 degree of the recommendation based on my Scace device calibrated machine. From my experience, the proper temperature is critical to a good extraction. If you don't have a starting temp recommendation from the roaster, generally darker roasts will need lower brew temps and lighter roasts will need higher brew temps.

SWR

#4: Post by SWR »

Timely thread, I just upgraded to a Vetrano 2B EVO and now have more precise control over temp vs my old Anita with HX temp surfing. I also try to use the roaster's recommendation as a starting point, but many don't even provide the recommendation. I have been using 201 which is my typical roaster's (Klatch) recommendation, and then usually dialing down to 200 or 199 based on flavor. I would be interested in others' advice on how to best dial in a bean if the roaster doesn't provide guidance.

DamianWarS

#5: Post by DamianWarS »

Idfixe wrote:I recently realized realized I rarely dial in using temp, hence ever touch temp at all...
I'd like to hear about other's approach to espresso brewing temp when dialing in espresso:
- where do you start?
- based on what?
- is temp the first parameter you are moving?
- is it the last?

Thanks
I think broadly speaking temps can be adjusted based on the roast profile as some of the first things to do to dial in a new coffee. Higher temps for light roasts and lower temps for darker roasts. Definitely if you're having a hard time dialing in or its always sour temp, etc the temp might be a good micro adjustment to give you the right balance.

Idfixe (original poster)

#6: Post by Idfixe (original poster) »

mike01 wrote:For me, temperature is one of the first things I change when dialing in. I generally look to the roaster for recommendations as a starting point, then adjust to taste. I usually end up within 1 degree of the recommendation based on my Scace device calibrated machine. From my experience, the proper temperature is critical to a good extraction. If you don't have a starting temp recommendation from the roaster, generally darker roasts will need lower brew temps and lighter roasts will need higher brew temps.
And what is your "range" of temp used?

Idfixe (original poster)

#7: Post by Idfixe (original poster) »

SWR wrote:Timely thread, I just upgraded to a Vetrano 2B EVO and now have more precise control over temp vs my old Anita with HX temp surfing. I also try to use the roaster's recommendation as a starting point, but many don't even provide the recommendation. I have been using 201 which is my typical roaster's (Klatch) recommendation, and then usually dialing down to 200 or 199 based on flavor. I would be interested in others' advice on how to best dial in a bean if the roaster doesn't provide guidance.
I rarely see temp on espresso from the roasters I buy from.
I've heard also adjustinf temp based on expected flavors:
- floral = low temp
- chocolates = med temp
- fruits = high temps

Advertisement
mike01

#8: Post by mike01 »

Idfixe wrote:And what is your "range" of temp used?
Most of the coffees I use would be considered medium roast, but some are lighter or darker than others. I'm almost always between 198-202F, with 200F being most common. That sounds like a pretty small range, but even a 1 degree change is noticeable to me and I feel like my taste buds aren't even that great.

cerone

#9: Post by cerone »

I usually start at 200, then dial everything else in, then go back and tweak temp if I can't get it tasting right by adjusting grind/ shot time.