Electric kettle with temperature control?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
chuckcoffee

#1: Post by chuckcoffee »

I have been using an electric kettle for my pourover (V60) using it typically 30 secs off boil. It has no temperature display. So I have no idea about temperature impact on flavour. Wondering what people are using in terms of electric temperature controlled kettles for what brewing method, any pros/cons and impact on improving extraction.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

I use a Salton JK1657 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076J ... 3H88&psc=1. I like it because it is primarily stainless, there are not toxic plastic parts, the water level sight glass has only two small holes in the kettle body (less chance of a leak), it is adjustable digital, it can display Celsius or Fahrenheit. The only down side is the water level is not easy to see in the sight glass, but one quickly gets used to that.

Now, why do I have such a kettle, when any ole kettle will boil water? That goes to your question about effect of water temperature. I find it makes a big difference both in coffee and in tea, especially the latter. Since this is a coffee forum :D I like my coffee brewed at about 90 degrees C (we'll skip the tea). The basic rule of thumb (all other things considered equal) is, if it's sour brew it hotter and if it's bitter brew it cooler. Of course, there are lots of other variables, such as grind, extraction ratio, and amount of coffee dosed.

Advertisement
happycat

#3: Post by happycat »

I have Bonavita PID kettle. It has a goose neck which helps with pouring, I use it for pour over and my Flair. It has variable temp and a hold button.
LMWDP #603

robertmw

#4: Post by robertmw »

chuckcoffee wrote:I have been using an electric kettle for my pourover (V60) using it typically 30 secs off boil. It has no temperature display. So I have no idea about temperature impact on flavour. Wondering what people are using in terms of electric temperature controlled kettles for what brewing method, any pros/cons and impact on improving extraction.
I've got a Bonavita Kettle, and having the temperature control is nice. You should take an accurate thermometer and see what your water temperature actually is at only 30 seconds off boil, you might be surprised by how hot it still is. Temperature definitely makes a difference in taste. It's the last thing I start adjusting when I am trying to perfect the flavor of a coffee, but it is definitely there. Start cooler (195F) for darker roast, and go hotter (205F) for a light roast. Adjust your coffee grind for flow/time/dose, then when you think you have is, start marching the temperature around, see if it gets better.

Personally, I didn't do much research into the kettles before I got the Bonavita. I had a Bonavita 1900 brewer, and was quite happy with it, so I just went with the brand that I knew. I am happy with it, don't get me wrong, but there are some newer kettles that has slightly more refined features. My single biggest gripe that I wish I had realized is that you have to hit the keep warm button every time you pick up the kettle, which I will often forget when I am between pours, dropping the temperature down a few degrees.

Some newer kettles, like the OXO and Fellow Stagg EKG, will let you pick up and put down without having to restart it. It's a minor thing really, but it is something to note

namelessone

#5: Post by namelessone »

I didn't have any issues using water just off the boil for pour overs. You already lose a lot of temperature once the water hits the brewer and mixes with room temp coffee. What matters more is the temp of the coffee slurry. I measured the slurry temp to be higher in my Moccamaster which uses water at 92C than pour overs even though I use boiling water in pour overs, though this could be because of brew size.

def

#6: Post by def »

I have a Bonavita and Fellow Stagg EKG. The Stagg EKG is a much nicer kettle for pour over and tea.

dale_cooper

#7: Post by dale_cooper »

Stagg kettle is expensive, yes....

But it may be my single favorite coffee gadget I've EVER bought. The usability is superb - the timer, the hold functionality, the weight of it, the pour rate - and it looks SO good in the kitchen. Even details like using the dial to adjust temperature, the feel of taking the lid off and on. Everything "feels" fantastic - It's just an amazing product.

Sidenote - I had a bonavita PID kettle before.

Advertisement
8bitCowboy

#8: Post by 8bitCowboy »

How is the longevity of the Stagg? I'm worried about rust and discoloration...

SilentDoom

#9: Post by SilentDoom »

I had the bonavita, then got the stagg. Love it. I don't think many of us know the true longevity yet since I feel it's still new(er) but I don't think rust is something to worry about. At least, so far I haven't.

ira
Team HB

#10: Post by ira »

8bitCowboy wrote:How is the longevity of the Stagg? I'm worried about rust and discoloration...
I don't think there is anything to rust, seems to be all stainless.

Ira