Electric kettle with temperature control? - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
namelessone

#21: Post by namelessone »

I've been waiting for Stagg EKG to be released in EU for over a year but still no announcement. Anyone have experience with Brewista Artisan, or are there other similar alternatives with small footprint?

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by cpreston »

I have both the Bonavita and the Stagg EKG 0.6L. I use them with an Aeropress.

The Bonavita holds around +/-2F and the Stagg +/-1F. The displays both resolve 1F. After a lot of experimenting, I would have to say that 2 degrees is pretty significant in terms of taste, roughly similar to 1 click on my Virtuoso.

Also, they pour quite differently. The Stagg (the 0.6L at least) has a smaller spout diameter and pours more slowly. When I'm trying to fill the Aeropress quickly, it takes longer and the water ends up cooler; I'll post separately about that issue eventually. For pourover, I don't know which would pour better.

Capac

#23: Post by Capac »

I have brewista artisan, my first PID kettle.

It is really nice to pour, pours better than stagg IMO.

I don't like the fact that temperature control isn't very accurate; if I set it to 93c from room temp, it will probably heat up to about 96 when it shuts off and thiks it's at 93. A bit annoying.

The problem with temeprature control kettles is that they just aren't as precise with temperature. An alternative is just using an induction kettle and a thermometer.

five and dime

#24: Post by five and dime »

namelessone wrote:I've been waiting for Stagg EKG to be released in EU for over a year but still no announcement. Anyone have experience with Brewista Artisan, or are there other similar alternatives with small footprint?
It's available now it seems from their webpage as there are links to distributors now. I nabbed one on Amazon's sale today for a good price but the US version: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SGFNV7P/?th=1

namelessone

#25: Post by namelessone replying to five and dime »

Yeah it was released just after I finally got the Brewista Artisan. To be honest I'm quite happy with it, no complaints so far.

five and dime

#26: Post by five and dime »

Cool- what's your favorite thing about that kettle? Does it heat fast? What's their warranty on it?
Lane Brookshire

namelessone

#27: Post by namelessone replying to five and dime »

Yes it's very fast to heat but we're on 220V here in Europe :) Warranty is 1 year I believe.

r.rowlan

#28: Post by r.rowlan »

Has anyone tested the accuracy of the Stagg EKG or + with another thermometer such as a ThermoWorks? Results?

3cordcreations

#29: Post by 3cordcreations replying to r.rowlan »

+1

Since their sensor is on the bottom near the spout I'm wondering if you need to set temp higher then what you really want?
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

r.rowlan

#30: Post by r.rowlan »

How much water is being heated would be a factor it seems to be. Being low would seem to be a plus, also, as long as the kettle is not full. Then I can see the concern if the entire kettle has sat too long and begun to cool.

The primary question remains for me, however, how accurate is the factory thermometer on the Stagg as corroborated by another reputable thermometer.

Thanks for the thoughts!