EG1 with SSP burrs creating too many fines?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Koryoboi

#1: Post by Koryoboi »

Hi all,

I have been lurking home-barista for a long time, and recently took the splurge to buy my first coffee equipment, an EG1. I really enjoy drinking pour overs, hence the reason for buying an end game grinder before an espresso machine.

I have properly aligned my SSP burrs and although they are known for producing little fines, I still get quite a bit (see picture). Is anyone else getting this with their EG1? Just wondering if I am doing something wrong. I am grinding at 800rpm on a medium setting for my v60.

Thanks for having me here!

Peter

bakafish

#2: Post by bakafish »

What burrs are you using?

Koryoboi (original poster)

#3: Post by Koryoboi (original poster) »

I am using the ULTRA burrs by SSP.

Jeff001

#4: Post by Jeff001 »

That looks really muddy, how finely are you grinding, what type of coffee and did you season the burrs? Ethiopians and stale coffee are known to produce a ton of fines but that doesn't look good.

That actually looks similar to the results I got with my Tanzania, Ive since returned it and just got an eg-1 with the ULTRA burrs, haven't brewed with it yet but will tomorrow, I'll see what mine looks like, I'm pretty nervous actually, hopefully it looks good.

bakafish

#5: Post by bakafish »

From the picture, I don't think it is muddy. The coffee bed look relates to how you pour. The picture shows you poured unevenly and too strong so the fines were stirred and covered on the surface and you can still see that there is not fines on the upper half part of the coffee bed. But I don't think the ULTRA burrs "produced fewer fines than ANY other major coffee grinder" either.

#6: Post by Koryoboi (original poster) »

Thanks for the information, that helps. I will adjust my technique accordingly. Still really learning tbh. It was an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee, roasted around two week prior to me drinking it.

I drank a Yirgacheffe at a local specialty roasters here in The Hague. They were grinding it much coarser (see enclosed), which make my think I am indeed grinding to finely? Yes, the coffee at the roastery tasted clearer, but thought my coffee had more complexity without being too sour.

It seems there is a huge range between what is the "proper" grind size for a v60. James Hoffman says to go finer until it taste bitter, but then I see very coarse grinds as well. It all comes back to personal preference I reckon?

alunare
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by alunare »

Wow that last pic looks very coarse. Did it taste good ?

#8: Post by Koryoboi (original poster) »

It did taste very very clear, and a tad bit sour. It was a bit too coarse for my taste. :? I replicated it this morning in my grinder and there is like eight full steps in grind setting (on the EG1) between the two pictures shared (from 4 all the way to 10+2).

I will just continue to experiment. Besides a good tasting pour over, there does not seem to be too many hard rules around this. Maybe I should try some different cafes to further benchmark, now that places are slowly opening up in Holland.

erik82

#9: Post by erik82 »

Give it 20kg and it'll get much better. Still looks pretty good but the second pic is definitely too coarse and the first one how mine is sometimes with beans that need a really fine grind.

My espresso setting is around 5.5 mand pourover (V60-01) around 1 so a bit over half a turn from espresso. Maybe that helps. I do 18/300 pourovers and aim for around 2:30 total time.

Jeff001

#10: Post by Jeff001 »

How do you get 20kg through it? 4.5 cost me $50 of the cheapest beans I could find. There's not many local roasters around me to hit up unfortunately.