Drip/pourover coffee machine for fewer cups.

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
kayanco

#1: Post by kayanco »

[Kindly note this is a cross-post from another forum. Please don't mind. Admin is also aware.]

Hi,

Can you please help finding a SCAA certified coffee machine that does a good job brewing 8-16 oz, but can also brew more?
Basically a coffee machine that does a good job whether brewing 8 oz or 40 oz.

I've researched and tried a few coffee makers on the SCAA website:
Bonavita.
Technivorm Moccamaster.

But came across some issues:

- Most of these are 8 cup, and recommend a minimum of around 6 cups (for example, the Amazon page for the Behmor Brazen says "6 cup brew minimum"). So they aren't suited for the 8-16 oz range I'm looking for.

- It also seems that the initial water which comes out isn't at the ideal temperature. It reaches that temperate towards the middle of the brew process.

So I'm wondering if there's a machine that reaches the ideal temperature right from the start?
Looks the like Wilfa machine might does that, based on this old post:
Wilfa Black Precision
(The user sversimo tested it and stated that it reached the right temperate from the "first few drops").

But it's discontinued from Williams Sanoma, apparently due to bad reviews. Similarly, it doesn't have great Amazon review and is only sold indirectly from 3rd party seller.

Another machine that "appears" promising is the OXO 9-cup, because it has a 2-4 cup setting. Does anyone know if the water is at the right temperate from the beginning?

Any other suggestions please?

namelessone

#2: Post by namelessone »

Wilfa Svart Precision has adjustable flow rate so that might be your best bet? There's also a new machine by Breville, but I don't know much about it.

Any of the machines with a "cone" / Melitta shape basket will work fine with 25-30g coffee (i.e. Moccamaster). Behmor probably not so much, since it has a flat bottom basket. My Moccamaster works very well with 27g , but I haven't tested it with less than that.

redbone

#3: Post by redbone »

I have a Bonavita drip machine for a few years now and predominantly brew coffee for my wife and I. Initially found the brew temp was too low for 4 cups or less.

Found an easy solution. Pass blank shot of 3 cups minimim of water through machine while I'm busy grinding. This heats all components including carafe. No time wasted as I'm busy preparing grinds while brewer is in progress. The Bonavita is a fast brewer vs others I've seen.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

kolu

#4: Post by kolu »

I would buy Marco SP-9, in case I could afford it :D

kayanco (original poster)

#5: Post by kayanco (original poster) »

namelessone wrote:Wilfa Svart Precision has adjustable flow rate so that might be your best bet? There's also a new machine by Breville, but I don't know much about it.

Any of the machines with a "cone" / Melitta shape basket will work fine with 25-30g coffee (i.e. Moccamaster). Behmor probably not so much, since it has a flat bottom basket. My Moccamaster works very well with 27g , but I haven't tested it with less than that.
Thanks.

Yes, I've personally tested and also heard online that the cone filter is better than the flat-bottom for smaller quantities.

I've heard that the Wilfa has quality issues, e.g. someone mentioned the paint peeling off and getting in to the basket. I went to Williams Sanoma and they told me that they discontinued it due to issues.

#6: Post by kayanco (original poster) »

redbone wrote:I have a Bonavita drip machine for a few years now and predominantly brew coffee for my wife and I. Initially found the brew temp was too low for 4 cups or less.

Found an easy solution. Pass blank shot of 3 cups minimim of water through machine while I'm busy grinding. This heats all components including carafe. No time wasted as I'm busy preparing grinds while brewer is in progress. The Bonavita is a fast brewer vs others I've seen.
Thanks for this suggestion.

I'll experiment with this method today :)

Do initially only pour 3 cups and then add the remaining water? or do you pour all the water at once and then stop the machine after 3 cups, to add the coffee?

redbone

#7: Post by redbone replying to kayanco »

I pour 3-4 cups. Dump hot water on dish sponge in sink to clean it.
Load basket and fill to desired level for making coffee, for us about 4.5 at Bonavita level.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

#8: Post by kayanco (original poster) »

redbone wrote:I pour 3-4 cups. Dump water on dish sponge in sink to clean it. Load basket and fill to desired level for making coffee, for us about 4.5 at Bonavita level.
Thanks.

#9: Post by kayanco (original poster) »

Quick question, the Bonavita BV01002US has a clean LED button which "illuminates when it is time to clean your brewer".
Any experience with this? Is it useful?

I'm wondering because the other Bonavita models don't have this feature. Not sure if it's just a gimmick.

Thanks.

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

kayanco wrote:Can you please help finding a SCAA certified coffee machine that does a good job brewing 8-16 oz, but can also brew more?
For future reference, please don't cross-post from other sites to HB. Why is cross-posting strongly discouraged? explains the rationale behind this site's policy. Contributors to this thread may wish to review the thread on CoffeeGeek before replying to avoid needlessly repeating previously provided suggestions.
Dan Kehn