Do you find Kruve sifter useful?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.

Do you find Kruve sifter useful?

Poll ended at May 15th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I use it every time I grind. I think it is the best addition to grinding science we have. Gotta have it.
4%
I use it frequently, just as much as when I first got it. I think it's useful.
No votes
I use it infrequently, less than when I first got it. But I think it's useful when I make the effort.
26%
I use it rarely, I bought it because everyone else was buying one. I don't think it is useful enough for use each time I grind.
13%
It's collecting dust amongst other coffee gadgets.
57%

Total votes: 23

Capac

#1: Post by Capac »

Hey,

I've been thinking about another toy, and I want to try kruve sifter.

The problem is the price that isn't cheap for something I wouldn't actually use.

Do you regularly use it?

I was thinking about sifting out the fines (sub 300-400 micron). How much waste would I be looking at with a medium (26 clicks) on comandante?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

You ask a good question, so I've created a poll. I'd be eager to hear what others think.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Capac (original poster)

#3: Post by Capac (original poster) »

Thanks! Now let's see ;).

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

I only use mine for grinder evaluation at the moment. It isn't a RoTap, but it works.

However, I have some grinders that definitely were improved for pourover by sifting - as a sweeping generalization, grinders with conical burrs that were originally designed for use in espresso grinders. In this case I settled on only sifting boulders and (sometimes) re-grinding the boulders. My eventual solution was to use 'better' grinders for pourover (currently Apex and Vario w/steel burrs). I still use hand grinders with conical burrs when travelling, but I can't be bothered with the Kruve when travelling.

... and that's the issue with Kruve. It adds a few minutes to the coffee preparation. I don't mind adding seconds to preparation like RDT (and WDT for espresso), but I soon became annoyed with those additional few minutes.
- My espresso: Swirled, not stirred. My pourover: Stirred, not swirled.

tv79

#5: Post by tv79 »

baldheadracing wrote:and that's the issue with Kruve. It adds a few minutes to the coffee preparation. I don't mind adding seconds to preparation like RDT (and WDT for espresso), but I soon became annoyed with those additional few minutes.
Agreed, I find the Kruve useful in dialing in settings between grinders (though it can be a process).

In terms of day to day use, to me it's death by a thousand cuts. By the time I weigh water and coffee, prewet the filter, grind the beans, preheat the cup, etc., it just becomes a bit much. I made a couple sifted brews over the weekend and did enjoy the results, but they weren't that much better to where I'd see myself sifting each morning.

peterlada

#6: Post by peterlada »

I use it 100% for my filtered coffee brews. Although I only have 1-2 PER WEEK of those. Mostly drink espresso, for which Kruve is too fussy and doesn't bring much to the table in terms of taste.

Capac (original poster)

#7: Post by Capac (original poster) »

I make 5 pour overs per day on average... doesn't sifting only take a minute at most?

I'm just windering how you transfer the grounds into a v60 without spilling.

redbone

#8: Post by redbone »

"It's collecting dust amongst other coffee gadgets."

Is that it's purpose. :wink:
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

The Kruve is triangular making it relatively easy to dose from the corner.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Capac (original poster)

#10: Post by Capac (original poster) »

How much does it improve cup quality?

Also, can you use kruve with one sieve (400micron) in place, to avoid the blending process in another vessel?