Did Hario V60 filters change recently?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
SonVolt

#1: Post by SonVolt »

I just got my new batch of Hario V60 filters from Amazon and they are quite a bit thicker and more rigid than my previous batches and now have a protruding lip to open them. I'm not sure how I feel about this - my draw-down time has nearly doubled. Has anyone else noticed this? They look at feel identical to the bulk white melitta style filters at Costco.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

What's the part number? Hario V60 filters (VCF) come in three sizes (01, 02, 03), 40-count and 100-count, two types (J=Cone type, no J=Nel type), and white or brown (W, M), and boxed (40's always boxed, add a K at the end for 100's boxed) So:

VCF-02-100-JW - 100 count, white, cone type
VCF-02-100-W - 100 count, white, Nel-type

Sounds like you got the cone type? The cone type is supposed to extend the amount of time the water is in contact with the coffee ... the cone-type is also a bit less expensive than the Nel type.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

SonVolt (original poster)

#3: Post by SonVolt (original poster) replying to baldheadracing »

I purchased these, which from the photo appear to be the "W" type. I'll have to check when I get home at the actually package.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GH5 ... ge_o00_s00

It looks like another buyer is expressing the came concern in the review section.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R276WA7L2Y ... re=kitchen

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

I found the cone kind on Amazon, the graphics are different: http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Filter-She ... v60+filter

The link you posted has the original Nel kind pictured AFAIK. (I call them "Nel" because Hario claimed that these filter papers were designed to replicate a nel dripper.) I assume that this is what the current packaging of all the various varieties should look like: http://www.hario.co.jp/shop/partscenter ... lclass=102

#5: Post by SonVolt (original poster) replying to baldheadracing »

Yep, I just checked and I have the Nel kind "VCF-02-100-W". The "JW" variety doesn't appear to have as much of an Amazon presence... not sure how I would have wound up with those originally.

Looks like there's some chatter over on Reddit too. I guess I'm not the only one.

dilin

#6: Post by dilin »

That's interesting!

Would like to know more too. It may or may not be a bad thing. Sometimes I prefer a normal Melitta 3-hole (I have a 4-hole!) with African coffees; the brightness is slightly muted, more diffused, instead of a too lively brightness.

borisblank

#7: Post by borisblank »

I just happened to order new filters from Amazon yesterday - I'll report back tomorrow when they arrive.

Consistency is hard enough with my own cadre of variables to consider...

caffeinezombie

#8: Post by caffeinezombie »

I've ordered a few 02s from coffeehit about half a year ago with an embossed V60 on the filter papers.. Performance has been largely similar for me though.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing replying to caffeinezombie »

I believe the embossed ones are sold in Europe and made by Filtropa (and have a different part number).

#10: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

There's no embossing on these. These new Hario brand filters are identical (paper, seam) to my Technivorm brand filters, which are both identical to the bulk filters sold at Costco. If I were to shuffle the Technivorm and Costco filters together it would be impossible to tell them apart. The only difference I can find is that you can get 10,000 of them at Costco for pennies. These new Hario filters appear to be the exact same except cone shaped. I'm guessing all 3 are made by the same company.