Decent Espresso Coffee Brewing

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I've been using the DE1Pro for filter brewing occasionally and thought it would warrant a discussion here. I know soon folks will be able to buy a simple blind basket with a few holes in it that will work as a distribution head for really precise controllable pour-over brewing. What I've done in the mean-time is take a page from Andy Schecter (as always) and place an Aeropress filter into the bottom of a 25g VST basket, grind my dose directly into the portafilter and use the pour-over function.

I know there's tons of variables that can be locked in. It's a pretty exciting outlook, being able to dial in so much control. For a recent batch, I didn't even bother removing the drip tray to make room for the Kalita carafe and Skale, I just brewed directly into the carafe and shut it off when I eyeballed the approximate brew volume. The resulting brew was excellent.

With the paper filter at the bottom of the basket, it brews pristine clear filter brews and it's quick, clean and repeatable. Clean up is a snap, just a tap into the knock box.

If you look at this thread you'll see how Andy discovered a higher extraction, made capable of using Aeropress filters in the bottom of a basket, paired with his EK43 and his Speedster, pulling espresso. My new Monolith MAX is more than capable of that level of grinding, and then some... Andy cut his filters down to a 52mm diameter to make a clean fit. Several years ago, I bought a simple paper circle cutter off of Amazon since at the time, I was interested in following this technique on my Leva which has a 53mm group, so I bought this tool for $15 and can bang out as many as I like really quick and easily.

I like the paper filter concept, it retains the clarity of any other pour-over filter brew, but it's quick, hands off and easily consistent. This whole method is an easy way for DE users to add another brew method to their lineup, even without the blind basket with holes concept that's in the works. Scott Rao and John et all are still fine tuning that approach and I'm sure it'll be very interesting. In the meantime, this method works extremely well. I like being able to rinse the filter well, not having any trace of paper taste left behind, and banging out an amazing filter brew that I know will be consistent.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

luca
Team HB

#2: Post by luca »

I think that this method has a lot of promise. If nothing else, it has the advantage that if you have your machine and grinder around anyway, then you aren't creating more clutter by having to have brewing equipment to drag out. Also, as you say, Tom, cleanup is almost a delight.

To give an example of what I am doing, I currently have a filter coffee that I think is more or less making good espresso at something like 94C, very fine grind and a profile that is something like 10s at minimal pressure, 8s at 12 bar and then tailing down to 3 bar over something like 15-20s. I am currently using this same coffee to make a filter type brew by using a VST 15G basket to put about 15g of coarse grind coffee in it with a paper filter in the bottom and extracting about 120g of liquid at about 88C brew temperature and 2 bar pressure, which takes about 30s. On my grinder so far, this yields a brew of about 2.6% TDS/22% extraction. I'm still exploring grind settings.

Here's a technique that I don't think anyone should overlook: don't forget that bypass brewing is a possibility, in the same way as is possible with stuff like professional fetco brewers. The 120g of 2.6% TDS liquid isn't anything to write home about ... but dilute it to 1.2-1.5% TDS and all of a sudden layers of aroma and flavour emerge that were hitherto hidden by the intensity of the 2.6% TDS brew, and which I struggle to get through other typical brewing methods (other than actual cupping). Dilution also has the considerable advantage of getting you to basically exactly the drinking temperature that you want immediately, since you control the temperature of the added water. With the decent, I imagine that you could simply tell it to dispense the correct volume of dilution water at the correct dilution temperature, making it even easier than it is for me with my machine.
TomC wrote:I've been using the DE1Pro for filter brewing occasionally and thought it would warrant a discussion here. I know soon folks will be able to buy a simple blind basket with a few holes in it that will work as a distribution head for really precise controllable pour-over brewing.
Is there somewhere where I can read up with what people are developing on the DE? I'm not sure if the forum is open to the public or not - I have an invite to Slack, but that doesn't seem to be it. Given that dilution works so well, I'd be interested in reading what the thinking behind developing a new basket is. I recently stumbled across this gem of an article from Jim a while ago, where he and Andy established that most of the soluble flavour compounds extract quite early and that later parts of the brew (in the case of espresso, at least) are basically just diluting what is extracted early on, so if we can get good extraction from existing baskets and dilute to the result we want, I'd be interested in knowing what the point of the filter basket is. Or have I totally misunderstood and are you saying that the blind filter with holes in it is going to be a gadget to disperse hot water dispensed by the DE so that you will stick something like a V60 underneath the DE and brew through that (as opposed to putting the grounds in that filter)? If so, sorry!
TomC wrote:What I've done in the mean-time is take a page from Andy Schecter (as always) and place an Aeropress filter into the bottom of a 25g VST basket, grind my dose directly into the portafilter and use the pour-over function.
I'm not sure if this will be relevant to us for the filter type brew method, but Jim pointed out that light roasted coffees do better as espresso through smaller doses and finer grinds. I have found the VST 15g to give much better results for espresso type extractions for light roasted coffees and I wonder if the same will be true for filter type extractions through an espresso machine. [EDIT: This was a silly thing to write, and is probably incorrect, since the volume of the filter type extraction is not really a constraint.]

I picked up a second hand refractometer, so I might play around with a few things and see what results I get.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes
★ Helpful

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC (original poster) »

luca wrote: Or have I totally misunderstood and are you saying that the blind filter with holes in it is going to be a gadget to disperse hot water dispensed by the DE so that you will stick something like a V60 underneath the DE and brew through that (as opposed to putting the grounds in that filter)?
The concept that Scott Rao is developing is precisely drilled holes into a simple blind basket, which then can be used as a shower head as if it were any other batch brewing. It would control the stream of water and depending on the pressure and flow behind it, the agitation of the coffee bed sitting underneath it, in a simple (Kalita Wave) style pour-over brewer. There'll be no coffee in this basket, just the brew water, at the temp, pressure, flow and for the duration you chose.

I've been using the regular Aeropress filters I still have on hand. They curl up just a bit in the corners of the 25g VST basket, but nothing slips by. The puck knocks out clean and easily and the resulting extraction has no muddiness.

When I get bored or inspired, I'll punch out a bunch of 53-54mm filters to use down the line.

I don't dilute the brew, I use the DE1Pro for the entire extraction process, it's easier in every aspect just to let the machine do all the work, and I can turn my focus onto anything else, clean up, putting coffee away, etc... But I know you can extract something akin to an espresso shot and dilute it down to Americano brew strength, but this is something different IMO. You're turning the DE machine into a very controllable filter brewing device.

To be honest, I might continue using this method even if the perforated blind basket comes to market. I already have everything I need.

luca
Team HB

#4: Post by luca »

TomC wrote:The concept that Scott Rao is developing is precisely drilled holes into a simple blind basket, which then can be used as a shower head as if it were any other batch brewing. It would control the stream of water and depending on the pressure and flow behind it, the agitation of the coffee bed sitting underneath it, in a simple (Kalita Wave) style pour-over brewer. There'll be no coffee in this basket, just the brew water, at the temp, pressure, flow and for the duration you chose.

I've been using the regular Aeropress filters I still have on hand. They curl up just a bit in the corners of the 25g VST basket, but nothing slips by. The puck knocks out clean and easily and the resulting extraction has no muddiness.

To be honest, I might continue using this method even if the perforated blind basket comes to market. I already have everything I need.
Thanks for the clarification. Whilst the showerhead for a kalita wave or whatever sounds cool and a logical thing to develop, I find it hard to believe that it would result in a better brew than what we are getting from the filter basket.
TomC wrote:I don't dilute the brew, I use the DE1Pro for the entire extraction process, it's easier in every aspect just to let the machine do all the work, and I can turn my focus onto anything else, clean up, putting coffee away, etc... But I know you can extract something akin to an espresso shot and dilute it down to Americano brew strength, but this is something different IMO. You're turning the DE machine into a very controllable filter brewing device.
It would be interesting to do the old trick of splitting up the extracting into multiple stages and see what each adds, as we used to do for espresso and as Jim did in the linked article. When I get a minute I might do that and then take the TDS and extraction readings for the different stages and post them here.
TomC wrote:... so I bought this tool for $15 and can bang out as many as I like really quick and easily.
Thanks for posting this link again, Tom. I think I remember you posting it ages ago. I found this 2.25inch version, which should be just under 57mm and I've ordered that. Hopefully it will basically be the perfect size. If it is, I'll try to post to let everyone know. On ebay it is sold under the name "EK Success", which I think bodes well!
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

RyanJE

#5: Post by RyanJE »

All very interesting stuff! I've been toying with this all as well but have a BDB rather than decent.

One thing I've noticed and don't care for is I still get this layer of foam for some reason on my "coffee shots". I always use the aeropress filter, never tried without.

Do you guys see the same thing?
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC (original poster) »

luca wrote:Thanks for the clarification. Whilst the showerhead for a kalita wave or whatever sounds cool and a logical thing to develop, I find it hard to believe that it would result in a better brew than what we are getting from the filter basket.
I imagine some speculating will be done about the agitation capabilities of the blind basket with a dozen holes drilled thru it. In the long run, I don't think end users can lose, because all you'll be buying is just a simple modified basket, and I wouldn't be surprised if down the line, as the whole thing evolves, this specific basket is included with the DE machine to begin with (that just makes sense).

Without the paper filter in the bottom, it's a whole different brew method. I prefer the clarity I get with the paper filters. I don't feel like I'm shortcutting the filter brew process, I'm just bringing it to a more modern and repeatable approach.

I'm packing everything up with me tonight for a Christmas trip down to LA for the next 8 or so days, so I'll delve deeper into everything in the coming days. But I'm just taking simple Aeropress filters with me, because, 1) they work and 2) I already have them sitting otherwise unused.

I'm bringing some nice home roasts as well as the new Auromar PB Geisha from Birdrock, as well as some tasty Salvadoran Kilimanjaro roasts from them.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC (original poster) »

RyanJE wrote:

One thing I've noticed and don't care for is I still get this layer of foam for some reason on my "coffee shots". I always use the aeropress filter, never tried without.

Do you guys see the same thing?
All I see is sparkling transparent brewed coffee. Not sure if it's due to the brew ratio or not, but it's legit filter brewed coffee, with the potential of a ridiculous degree of control. I don't immediately jump on board with everything the "coffee cognoscenti" are recommending, but the way I look at it is thus: take the price of a Decent Espresso machine and accept what it cost, in order to make really consistent and highly controllable espresso. Now cut that price in half, because you've also added the most precise filter/pour over brewing device, in the same machine for free. Two machines in one.

I was about to buy a Curtis Gold Cup brewer second hand. Why would I now? If a $20 basket can give me more control and flexibility and not need to be plumbed in, turned on all the time, and take up a ton of space, I don't know why I'd bother. Sure the Curtis makes excellent coffee, but the DE will likely easily match and exceed that, in the same form fitting package that's already on my counter.

RyanJE

#8: Post by RyanJE replying to TomC »

What dose are you putting in the 25g basket? Also are you running typical drip ratios like 1:16?
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to RyanJE »

My last batch I ground 20g on the MAX, figuring if the coffee expanded a ton in the basket, there'd be some space for that.

I literally eyeballed the rest and just tapped the stop button when I saw the idealized brew in my glass carafe. I know I can dig into the programmability in the future and intend to. Tonight's was just a quick "bang it out" brew and it was phenomenal.

The ceramic drain bowl/drip tray of the Decent can slide away, and either the Skale, or any other ideally sized scale can sit underneath your receptacle.

With the expected ground coffee bed expansion after the brew, the 20g dose was level with the top of the 25g basket and I was left with ~320g of deliciously brewed coffee.

Jake_G
Team HB

#10: Post by Jake_G »

Tom,

What flow rate, pressure and temperature are you shooting for on these brews? Are you doing a bloom phase?

Thanks for starting this topic, I'm looking forward to the ensuing discussion...

- Jake
LMWDP #704