DE1 Japanese iced coffee with regular portafilter basket

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
caeffe

#1: Post by caeffe »

I tried to post in other threads but they were deemed old...
Is 240 v significantly better for Decent Espresso pourover function ?
Decent Espresso Coffee Brewing

DE1 offers a pourover basket however the above posts refer to doing a pourover using the "regular" basket along with some paper filters cutout to fit the basket.

Does one just use the Filter 2.1 function and does it automatically stop at a given volume (ml) / mass (g) of water or does one stop it manually after a given mass? I intend to use a scale so can check the water mass and stop it accordingly. Want to use this feature to make a big batch of Iced Coffee - Japanese style - https://counterculturecoffee.com/learn/ ... ced-coffee

Would like to make 500 mL batch - so plan to use 29-30g of coffee grounds.
I know I'd probably get more responses in the Decent Diaspora but thought I'd ask here since I'm not yet well versed with the Diaspora process of posting.
LMWDP #162

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

All 240V might get you is a slightly higher maximum flow rate which I'd guess doesn't matter. The problem with making that big a coffee is more likely to be the space under the portafilter. You might be better off making a smaller very strong coffee and diluting it.

caeffe (original poster)

#3: Post by caeffe (original poster) »

ira wrote:.....The problem with making that big a coffee is more likely to be the space under the portafilter. You might be better off making a smaller very strong coffee and diluting it.
US specd 110V machine so 240V isn't even in play.
Putting the drip tray off to the side as seen in the other posts, I'm able to put a big carafe underneath.

I struggle a bit with how to make a "concentrated" pourover - does one put more grinds ie a smaller ratio 10:1 instead of 15:1? Grind finer and pour longer or grind coarser and pour shorter?
LMWDP #162

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

I have the pour over basket, but I found rearranging all the pieces to use it to annoying and one the Filter 2.1 profile showed up I've been using a slight variation of that.

invisibro

#5: Post by invisibro »

caeffe wrote:I struggle a bit with how to make a "concentrated" pourover - does one put more grinds ie a smaller ratio 10:1 instead of 15:1? Grind finer and pour longer or grind coarser and pour shorter?
For the Filter 2.1 profile, you are supposed to grind coarser (apparently coarse enough to where your brew ends with .3 bar pressure), brew a 1:3 ratio, then dilute with hot water to your preferred strength - kind of like an aeropress with no immersion.

caeffe (original poster)

#6: Post by caeffe (original poster) »

ira wrote:I have the pour over basket, but I found rearranging all the pieces to use it to annoying and one the Filter 2.1 profile showed up I've been using a slight variation of that.
I don't have the pourover basket (yet) so am going to use the 18g basket with paper sandwich method. Was wondering how folks use this method - I think I read that one uses 2 filter papers (either Hario V60 or aeropress cut to fit the 58 basket) and one on top (either metal screen or paper?)
LMWDP #162

caeffe (original poster)

#7: Post by caeffe (original poster) »

invisibro wrote:For the Filter 2.1 profile, you are supposed to grind coarser (apparently coarse enough to where your brew ends with .3 bar pressure), brew a 1:3 ratio, then dilute with hot water to your preferred strength - kind of like an aeropress with no immersion.
Thx Jay - most guides I read are geared towards timing - ie grind to achieve a certain time to finish the pour. With the Decent, since we're able to monitor/control the pressure this is helpful.
LMWDP #162

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

On my Mono Flat with Mythos burrs I grind about 2 numbers coarser than espresso, still much finer than anything I'd use for pour over. There is a new profile that some people swear by that uses much coarser ground coffee and pours the whole cup of coffee without needing dilution but I gave up after never getting the coffee as good as the profile requiring dilution. Maybe my lack of willingness to keep experimenting. With that profile I was using an Ode with V2 burrs set to 6, so something you'd use for pour over.