Current views on Melodrip? 2022

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Phobic

#1: Post by Phobic »

It's been a while since the Melodrip launched, I read the pre-release thread from 2017 - Melodrip and the later thread from 2018 - My pleasant surprise with the Melodrip

but there doesn't seem to be much discussion since other than random mentions of it.

what's the latest thinking on using it? there seemed to be a general perception that sweetness is improved however the results can sometimes be a bit flat, with potential impact on acidity.

is anyone still using this with good results? is the flat taste only an issue with certain beans?

any thoughts on what the Meldodrip is doing if it is improving flavour - the obvious thing in my head is that is helps reduce fines travel.

jdrobison

#2: Post by jdrobison »

I still use it regularly to have better control over agitation. Results are very predictable as opposed to when I don't use it - traveling - where the results are less consistent. I still get complex brew with all the characteristics of the bean, I just don't depend on the pour to do the agitation for me. I do that with stirring/spinning which I find to be more consistently repeatable and predictable.

Eiern

#3: Post by Eiern »

I like mine. I use it daily but mostly for the last regular pour after a gentle swirl to flatten the bed, so I only agitate the bloom and the first pour with my kettle. I pour rather gently there too, at least with my 98mm flat burrs which I find extract so well already. I use it for small or medium brews with V60/Kono and Kalita, but also with my Aeropress for no-bypass brews similar to Tricolate. I preheat the Melodrip in a small cup to get it more up to temp.

Here's two examples of my brews with it (sorry hand is in the way a little)
I will record a version of Aeropress no-bypass soon-ish

Phobic (original poster)

#4: Post by Phobic (original poster) »

Eiern wrote:I like mine. I use it daily but mostly for the last regular pour after a gentle swirl to flatten the bed, so I only agitate the bloom and the first pour with my kettle. I pour rather gently there too, at least with my 98mm flat burrs which I find extract so well already. I use it for small or medium brews with V60/Kono and Kalita, but also with my Aeropress for no-bypass brews similar to Tricolate. I preheat the Melodrip in a small cup to get it more up to temp.

Here's two examples of my brews with it (sorry hand is in the way a little)

video

video

I will record a version of Aeropress no-bypass soon-ish
thanks for this.

You mention good extraction via 98mm, just a punt, I don't suppose you looked at extraction/TDS at all, I'm wondering if the Melodrip gives a improvement?

erik82

#5: Post by erik82 »

After I bought the Fellow Stagg Mini kettle a couple of years ago I found no need for it anymore. That kettle has such precision in pouring that's it's even better without the Melodrip. With lesser kettles I'd probably still use it sometimes.

Phobic (original poster)

#6: Post by Phobic (original poster) » replying to erik82 »

I'm pretty happy with the control I get on my current gooseneck but certainly willing to buy a stagg if they're that good.

Think the issue though is always going to be how steady your hand is on the pour, I'm expecting that the melodrip acts as a buffer to help smooth out the pour and make it much steadier.

I'd expect to see improvements when I look at the Acaia logs, would be good to hear from anyone who's looked at that

Jonk

#7: Post by Jonk »

No matter how good your kettle is it won't reduce agitation the same way as a melodrip. If low agitation is something to strive for is a different question.. at least for those no bypass aeropress brews it is 8)

It does smooth flow rate noticeably, also using my Stagg, but of course the integral depends on your kettle and pour.

Most of the time I prefer very high agitation instead. But it's certainly possible to get good and interesting brews with high optical clarity using the melodrip. A nice tool that I don't regret buying but seldom use.

Phobic (original poster)

#8: Post by Phobic (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:No matter how good your kettle is it won't reduce agitation the same way as a melodrip. If low agitation is something to strive for is a different question.. at least for those no bypass aeropress brews it is 8)
thanks, this is just what I was expecting to hear.

agree on your agitation point 100%, the main reason for my interest in the melodrip is so that I can better control the agitation myself, for v60 I will still spin to agitate, but would rather keep the rest of the pour low impact so I can better understand/control the agitation

Jonk

#9: Post by Jonk »

You would probably need to spin very aggressively to come close to the same agitation as a high agitation pour. But yeah, with a melodrip you can reduce agitation so basically just a few pieces of chaff move around when the droplets hit, with the water on top looking like water and not a slurry.

Eiern

#10: Post by Eiern »

Phobic wrote:thanks for this.

You mention good extraction via 98mm, just a punt, I don't suppose you looked at extraction/TDS at all, I'm wondering if the Melodrip gives a improvement?
I own a VST refractometer but usually don't measure brews on the daily, I do every now and then. But I don't think switching from kettle to Melodrip for the last pour change TDS meaningfully. I'm usually happy around 1.5 TDS and 22% for a lot of brews with 98 Brew and ULF and conical drippers, a little less with stock EK43S burrs, and of coarse depending on the bean.