Current views on Melodrip? 2022 - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
erik82

#11: Post by erik82 »

Phobic wrote:I'm pretty happy with the control I get on my current gooseneck but certainly willing to buy a stagg if they're that good.
This is true for the Stagg Mini whch they don't sell anymore. For me it's still the perfect kettle and don't understand why they stopped producing it. The electric kettle seems to pour not nearly as well as the Mini.
Jonk wrote:A nice tool that I don't regret buying but seldom use.
That's also how I think about it. Sometimes it's fun to play around with it but it's still a kind of usefull to not have the urge to sell it.

Phobic (original poster)

#12: Post by Phobic (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:You would probably need to spin very aggressively to come close to the same agitation as a high agitation pour. But yeah, with a melodrip you can reduce agitation so basically just a few pieces of chaff move around when the droplets hit, with the water on top looking like water and not a slurry.
yes, this is kinds what I'm trying to get my head around, is there any point in the melodrip? is it just better to sort out my pouring technique and achieve the same end result without buying a melodrip....

Eiern wrote:I own a VST refractometer but usually don't measure brews on the daily, I do every now and then. But I don't think switching from kettle to Melodrip for the last pour change TDS meaningfully. I'm usually happy around 1.5 TDS and 22% for a lot of brews with 98 Brew and ULF and conical drippers, a little less with stock EK43S burrs, and of coarse depending on the bean.
interesting thanks.

so the question is if there's no meaningful change in TDS, what's the point?

is the cup a lot cleaner? less muddy at the same TDS? (I'm expecting it to stop the fines from travelling as much).

boren

#13: Post by boren »

I don't know about improving taste, but in terms of user experience it's my least favorite water diffuser/distributer. I don't like the idea of holding it and still requiring quite controlled pouring to prevent splashing and spillover. If I'm doing very controlled pouring I might as well pour water directly from my gooseneck kettle into the coffee bed.

I much prefer the Hario Drip Assist over the Melodrip, and even the much slower Gabi Master B is growing on me. Both are good choices.

Worth mentioning that the OXO water tank included with their pour-over maker is my least favorite water distributer, but more because of uneven water distribution (too few active holes) and not because of concept.

Phobic (original poster)

#14: Post by Phobic (original poster) »

boren wrote:I don't know about improving taste, but in terms of user experience it's my least favorite water diffuser/distributer. I don't like the idea of holding it and still requiring quite controlled pouring to prevent splashing and spillover. If I'm doing very controlled pouring I might as well pour water directly from my gooseneck kettle into the coffee bed.

I much prefer the Hario Drip Assist over the Melodrip, and even the much slower Gabi Master B is growing on me. Both are good choices.
this is a very good point, I do prefer to pour 2 handed to keep things steady, though I guess that's less of an issue when you're using a shower head.
boren wrote:Worth mentioning that the OXO water tank included with their pour-over maker is my least favorite water distributer, but more because of uneven water distribution (too few active holes) and not because of concept.
sorry to say I threw mine out

Jonk

#15: Post by Jonk »

Agreed about the OXO. Only about 3 of the holes are active in mine. I like it more than just a regular trapezoid brewer without a gooseneck kettle, but the implementation is quite poor.

The upside of holding the melodrip while you pour is that you can get very close to the surface. In that sense I believe it is unique, for those who favor a bare minimum of agitation over just distribution of water. That OXO for example is digging deep into the grounds.

jdrobison

#16: Post by jdrobison »

I like the flow rate of the Melodrip and, while I can't speak from personal experience, I worry that the Hario and Gabi would lead to much lower water temp. I also like the complete coverage that I can get with the Melodrip. I sort of equate it to thinking about spray head design for batch brewers.

p4lxrich

#17: Post by p4lxrich »

btw can we remove the steel holder? it looks like you can but i've tried to unscrew it . dont want to use too much force if we're not suppose to be able to unscrew it.

NYFilter93

#18: Post by NYFilter93 replying to p4lxrich »

Possibly? But you can also get the Melodrip Lift on Etsy (when it's available again)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1238763966 ... odrip-lift

p4lxrich

#19: Post by p4lxrich »

yes. i bought that so i wanted to get rid of the holder so it doesnt stick out. i asked the etsy guy and he didnt know.

nm: i guess there's a metal insert that is pressed into the plastic dish. but the metal stick is screwed on to that. i was able to remove it to try that etsy one above