Cuptimo Manual Vacuum Brewer

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
LewBK

#1: Post by LewBK »

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%BCchner_flask
A Büchner flask, also known as a vacuum flask, filter flask, suction flask, side-arm flask, Kitasato flask or Bunsen flask, is a thick-walled Erlenmeyer flask with a short glass tube and hose barb protruding about an inch from its neck. The short tube and hose barb effectively act as an adapter over which the end of a thick-walled flexible hose (tubing) can be fitted to form a connection to the flask. The other end of the hose can be connected to source of vacuum such as an aspirator, vacuum pump, or house vacuum.
Chris

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Chris, nice to see you posting again, it's been too long.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

jmc999

#4: Post by jmc999 »

Is the idea that we want to brew with a fine grind, but wish to limit contact time?
The vacuum assists with pulling all the water through the coffee bed in significantly less time than it would take to drain through without the assist.

Found something similar, the FrankOne/VacOne:

rmongiovi

#5: Post by rmongiovi »

I experimented with a Büchner flask and funnel for a while. I found out three things:

A hand vacuum pump works but you have to pump it way too many times to draw down all the coffee. My whole point in using the flask and funnel was to decrease the draw down time and this definitely did not do it.

A powered vacuum pump has to be quite limited in the amount of vacuum it provides. Too much vacuum and the coffee bed compacts into an impervious layer, all draw down stops, and the lowered pressure in the flask causes the coffee to boil. Again, counterproductive.

In both cases, the Büchner flask sucked all the heat out of the coffee which was cold by the time it made it to the cup. I abandoned my experiment before I bothered adding a heating plate to keep the coffee hot. It seemed like way more work than was warranted to make a cup of coffee.

Definitely a mad scientist coffee maker, but to me it demonstrated once again that simple is better.
★ Helpful

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

I've seen vacuum used, for brewing, extraction or both, but usually in a large diameter enclosed flat bottom brewer so those problems don't happen.

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by ShotClock »

I love the idea of this, a single cup immersion brewer with pressure assisted filtration. This is just a more complex and fussy version of the aeropress - no?