Commercial Batch Brewer For The Home?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Dither

#1: Post by Dither »

I've got a hot tip on a Fetco Extractor 3 liter and I'm trying to convince myself I don't need it/can't fit it anywhere. It would need to be plumbed and requires 240v so would require a little work. It's the same model we had at my old shop so I've got nostalgia goggles on.

Anyone have something like this in their setup?

jjk232

#2: Post by jjk232 »

I've also been curious about this. I have my espresso machine plumbed in with good water so figured why not try to plumb in a commercial drip machine.
Can a bigger drip machine brew smaller (1-2L) of coffee easily and well? If it can be better than my moccamaster I'd be in for trying it. I'm surprised this hasn't come up more often. People are spending Tens of Thousands of dollars on commercial espresso machines and grinders, but what about the best drip coffee available?

JarJarJacob

#3: Post by JarJarJacob replying to jjk232 »

I used to successfully brew 2L batches on one of the modern Fetco 4L XTS models.

No modifications necessary, a dose of around 117g pretty coarse achieved a suitable bed depth of around 4cm if I recall.

Maxed out the prewet volume with a 1:30 bloom, then brewed to completion with pulses maxed out, achieving a 6:30 total brew time or so with a perfectly flat bed and high tasty EY's (often 23-24%, tasting great through my perfectly aligned EK and light roasted coffees).

The maxing out of pulses was necessary to get a flat bed it seemed, I imagine thanks to the increased agitation of the bed.

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

I've come close many times to buying a Curtis Gold Cup brewer and installing it at home. My only hesitation is the one that I have the great offer on in terms of cost, is a dual brewer, not the nicer smaller single brewer. My reply is only tangentially related since the Curtis is a commercial brewer I'd like to use for home, but obviously not a batch brewer, so it doesn't answer your question much.

In many ways, I think the Curtis Gold Cup is likely a better solution for the avid home enthusiast than it is for a commercial setting. If I had a cafe, I'd be using a large batch brewer like any other Curtis unit or a Fetco. The cafe that has offered the Gold Cup politely described their displeasure of the time it was taking for their baristas to produce a cup of coffee when they weren't utilizing the majority of its capabilities. And when faced with that reality, why bother with anything other than a bigger Fetco/ Curtis unit that brews at least a liter or more at a time?

Being in the Bay Area, I see nice Fetcos like the XTS line pop up on Craigslist frequently at screaming bargains. Some resellers don't know what they have or are liquidating, etc. I couldn't imagine using a 3 liter unit in any home setting unless I could control every aspect down to a more realistic batch size for home consumption.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/