Cold Aeropress ?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
alexcon1997

#1: Post by alexcon1997 »

Where i live, the average temperature during summer is about 35c-40c and having coffee is a big struggle. I had cold brew almost every day during June and after a while cold brew got abit boring for me, so I started trying some other things, the best method i found that works best is moka pot and just pour that over ice. But on my quest of finding my favourite cold coffee I tried different methods with alot of brewing equipment. When i tried refrigerating my aeropress, for about 2-3 hours until it was cold enough for enjoyment the taste was much different, very blunt taste i would characterize it and very acidic to the point of no enjoyment, so after a couple of tries a gave that up. Why does that happen ? Was I doing something wrong ? And what is your favourite cold coffee to drink at home (I can't make an espresso) ?

CwD

#2: Post by CwD »

Try brewing it directly over ice instead of refrigerating it.

alexcon1997 (original poster)

#3: Post by alexcon1997 (original poster) »

Then its too watery, you cant even taste the coffee.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

You have to cut back on the water to make up for the ice, like this recipe.

Iced Aeropress
14 g coffee
100 g water
70 g ice

I like this recipe with a nice Kenya or Ethiopia coffee

Double "Alcatraz" Iced Chemex
80 g Ethiopian Chelektu Yirga Cheffe
566 ml Water
392 g Ice
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jammin

#5: Post by jammin »

I'm a BIG fan of iced coffee made with an Aeropress. Give my recipe a try and see what you think:

22g coffee.
165g brewing water.
2 minute brew time with a few good stirs.
Press over a 16oz glass filled to the top with ice.

Ive played with this recipe several times and the brew ratio seems to come out quite nicely after the hot, concentrated coffee from the A/P melts a bit of the ice.

Edit: wow - we have very similar recipes, Yak

SlowRain

#6: Post by SlowRain »

I do 17.5g coffee, ground for fine drip. I use water maybe 30-60 seconds off boil. I invert the Aeropress, fill with water to the "2" mark, then add coffee & stir a couple times, just until the grounds are wet. Put the cap on, then wait until 30 seconds on the timer. I flip it over and take my sweet time pressing over a cup filled with ice. Depending on the coffee, I'll finish pressing anywhere at the 45- to 60-second mark. I'll add more ice & water to fill the cup up to 250ml. Wait for most if the ice to melt before starting to drink. You can double the recipe and fill the Aeropress full with water after adding the coffee. I usually add the water in two stages for a double batch because it's easier to stir that way.

I drink Ethiopian or Kenyan coffees for iced coffee. I'm also using Kaffeologie's S Filter.