Coffee tastes bitter in the morning - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Nate42

#11: Post by Nate42 »

If you are brushing your teeth before your morning coffee, try an SLS free toothpaste. The foaming agents screw with your taste buds. A classic trick to reset your palate is to eat something fairly simple and bland, like a saltine cracker, or better yet an unsalted one but I for one don't keep those around. :D

AlexCuppa

#12: Post by AlexCuppa »

I had this feeling before, coffee tastes bitter before anything in my stomach, but I found out it's about my bean is getting stale. maybe this is a hint to change the bean that when it looks dullness and lackluster crema

HilarityDuff

#13: Post by HilarityDuff »

Other posters have given you a lot of food for thought about how your morning routine might be impacting your experience tasting coffee first thing.

The only thing I'd like to add to the conversation is the idea of "palate shift." Stated simply, your first sip has outsized intensity due to the contrast with whatever was on your palate prior. You mentioned you just drink water prior so this contrast would be with the taste of the flesh in your mouth/overnight bacterial growth. Once your palate "shifts" whatever you're tasting is closer to expectations.

My morning looks like yours: I wake up, drink some water and take my supplements. After a little time I make some coffee. First sip always tastes piquant and hollow by dint of the fact that it is the hottest and most intensely flavored thing to hit my palate in 12 hours. It usually takes 2-3 sips for things to taste as expected. I brush my teeth after I finish my coffee for the morning: better for tasting and cleans the coffee oil off my teeth (hopefully) reducing the likelihood of staining.

I was introduced to this idea when I worked in alcohol sales. We would have sales reps show up throughout business hours with bottles to sample. We would work hard to make sure that we had a sense for the context we were tasting in when evaluating new products. Kind of difficult to sift between the subtleties of 5 Bordeauxs choosing which one to bring in when half the room just did a MacAllan tasting. FYI this is agnostic of intoxication levels: we were all spitting through these tastings.

coyote-1

#14: Post by coyote-1 »

I've found that certain things, eaten prior, enhance my enjoyment of certain roasts for espresso. One of them is pecan pralines. There's a bit of sweet, not too much, and a bit of salt - again not too much. I come home from work, have a praline, turn on the machine, get comfy.... About five minutes later I'll have the espresso. By that point most of the 'impact' of the praline has faded, yet it has changed my palate just a little.

I've seen a vid by a coffee influencer proclaiming the magic of salt in coffee. I've tried it and am not a fan, but that remaining wisp of salt/sweet on the palate can bring out desirable components of medium-dark roasts.