Coffee brewing too long and caffeine

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Kristijan

#1: Post by Kristijan »

Hi guys i want to ask something. Will you lose the caffeine from Turkish or any other coffee by overboiling it or brewing it for too long? Does boiling water destroy caffeine in coffee?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Caffeine is rather stable, even at roasting temps (which far exceed the extraction temps during brewing), I doubt the change would be dramatic.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
rmongiovi

#3: Post by rmongiovi »

If there's a difference I'd expect it to be with caffeine's solubility. According to google water at 80C can hold 18g caffeine per 100ml while water at 100C can hold 67g per 100ml. And, of course, caffeine does require time to be dissolved. I've no clue how much that matters based on the amount of caffeine in the beans. See https://www.amazing-food.com/caffeine-s ... xtraction/

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Since the caffeine in a cup of coffee is measured in mg, typically around 100 mg, I don't think that solubility of caffeine in water will come into play here. Even at 0°C the caffeine solubility limit is way up at 600 mg.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by DamianWarS »

Kristijan wrote:Hi guys i want to ask something. Will you lose the caffeine from Turkish or any other coffee by overboiling it or brewing it for too long? Does boiling water destroy caffeine in coffee?
caffeine with brewing should be proportional to the extraction or TDS but brewing too hot/long shouldn't negatively affect the caffeine and if anything it may increase it since it would be a greater extraction. Caffeine itself is a non-volatile compound meaning it won't disappear or evaporate away like a lot of various aromas in coffee and if you boiled it too much the worse will be the water will evaporate away and you will get a thick syrup-like coffee and probably very nasty but still with caffeine. if caffeine is your goal lighter roasts will have more caffeine in them than darker roasts and robusta has more caffeine than arabica.