Clever Coffee Dripper alternative technique

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
redbone
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by redbone »

Alternative brew methods for Clever C.Dripper, Bonavita porcelain dripper and other similar valved immersion dripper. This method came from Work Shop Coffee in London England and noted by James H. [

Coffee is added on top of the water. This reduces draw down time although a finer grind is used. Typical brew time is reduced to almost half. Details on link or on J.Hoffmann's youtube page. https://cleverdripper.workshopcoffee.com/

Tried twice so far with some mild tweaks that worked best for lighter roast coffee used. Had better results at 2:30 than finer grind at recommended 2:00 minutes. Noticeable cleaner and sweeter cup. Will make this my standard method. Any one else try?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by DamianWarS » replying to redbone »

I have tried it but I've never quite enjoyed stirring in the grinds and I wouldn't quite recommend this for a cafe setting because it takes too much fussing over. I also haven't had a noticeable issue with drawdown time with the clever either but I have no complaints with this method. However when I do use this method that Hoffmann highlights what I've done is add all water except 100 grams, add coffee, then pour the remaining 100 grams over the coffee which wets and stirs it into the water. This seems to be the best of both worlds. I also agree with longer steep times. Incidentally, Barista Hustle just released their clever portion in their Immersion brewing course, it came enough time after the Hoffmann video that Perger would have certainly have known about it but it doesn't consider this adding the grinds over the water method and I was a little surprised with that. I think BH is however trying to highlight some of their partners and it focuses on Jessica Sartiani's 2019 Italian Brewers Cup Recipe. It's pretty simple 18g of coffee, 250g of water and 93C temp of water. Coffee first then water (no bloom), breaks the crust at 1:30, and waits another 30 seconds before triggering the release.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
redbone (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by redbone (original poster) »

Like your tweak since adding water, coffee then water would essentially stir and saturate the grinds without having to use a utensil. This will make a very fast brew method even faster. Would I like about the CCD and BPD is the minimalist cleaning and fuss required. I brew espresso which at the opposite spectrum. At times after finishing espresso prep and cleaning someone at home requests a cup of coffee and this quick method delivers great results with easy cleanup.
Although results from the Aeropress were good I was not a fan of the many clunky plastic pieces also requiring specific filters. Do like their large mouth funnel which I kept when sold it. With the CCD and BPD a standard #4 filter is used and are available from any grocery store.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

It does reduce the drawdown time. Using a mesh filter above the paper one also reduces it by about the same. In a cafe setting, having the drawdown drop from 90 to 30 seconds is probably a bonus.
Jim Schulman

Jonk

#5: Post by Jonk » replying to another_jim »

Nice tweak indeed, takes quite a while to get all the grounds stirred in properly otherwise - especially with a full filter
This is the first time I've heard of this. Intrigued, I tried it out immediately with a V60 and a slightly shallower ~300µ mesh filter (basically V50) inside. It cut the brew time in half! From 4 minutes to 2min11s and this is including a 45s bloom.

Didn't taste any good though - I've had brews this fast with the mesh filter that were nice but I think the absence of fines (the paper collected a shocking amount) made the brew lacking both in extraction and mouthfeel. Will be fun experimenting with even finer grind size (this was already on the fine end, 35 on a Niche) - but in a café I don't think I'd like to mess around with mesh filters since they're tricky to clean.

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

You may be right about cleaning the mesh in a cafe. It does require a finer grind, sorry I forgot to mention it.
Jim Schulman

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by DamianWarS »

redbone wrote:Do like their large mouth funnel which I kept when sold it.
I can't argue with you there, that funnel is amazing.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by DamianWarS »

redbone wrote:Like your tweak since adding water, coffee then water would essentially stir and saturate the grinds without having to use a utensil. This will make a very fast brew method even faster.
I've modified it since, I now start with a 30gr dose which is using 1:16 allows also 480ml of water. In case you're counting this fills the brewer, not quite to the brim but still full. If you don't like the ratio change to whatever it takes to fill the brewer for you. Now I do water first and as it approaches the top I pour the grinds in while I am pouring the water and I keep pouring the water until the brewer is full. This makes it really fast and since the brewer can only handle smaller doses 30 grams is fine and I just have a larger serving. This would be a good method for a cafe because it's fast, easy but still consistent, plus it looks like you're doing something new and improved so people start talking about it. You could probably do the same with a smaller dose by establishing a fill line on the brewer for that dose.

Willinak
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Willinak »

Damian, I assume you're using the SMALL 11 oz dripper, not the LARGE 18 oz, correct?

DamianWarS
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by DamianWarS » replying to Willinak »

I have the only version that was available to me but I don't know its advertised capacity. It definitely holds more than 11 oz. If you're checking the math 480ml of water is about 16 oz. If I filled it with just water I could probably get 18 oz in there.

update: I filled it with water from empty, it held 575 ml of water which is over 19oz. I'm sure this means I have the 18 oz version you speak of and it's not an off-brand but a genuine clever. 480ml of water and 30 gr dose most equal a similar volume.