Chemex Use in 2021

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
coffeemmichael
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by coffeemmichael »

Thinking a lot about the Chemex lately, curious to get a sense of current use among those on HB.
(Just got my first box of the pre-folded circle filters, sure beats cutting down excess paper from the square ones)

I love a well-made chemex, but my god can it be a fickle brewer. But no matter how many times it frustrates me, I keep going back to the glass hourglass.

Those who regularly brew Chemex- what draws you to it?
Those who hate it- tell us your frustrations

Richard

#2: Post by Richard »

coffeemmichael wrote:. . . I love a well-made chemex, but my god can it be a fickle brewer. But no matter how many times it frustrates me, I keep going back to the glass hourglass.

Those who regularly brew Chemex- what draws you to it?
Excellent brewed coffee and easy nonfickle repeatability batch after batch after batch.
-- Richard

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

It's a great way to brew at gatherings for a crowd. When I ran out of RO water and didn't want to bother setting up a ZeroWater pitcher to brew one batch in my BraZen I just brewed my morning pot in a Chemex I dug out of the upper cabinets and was very happy with the results; no worry about scale clogging any mechanism beyond scaling up your kettle.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

thirdcrackfourthwave

#4: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

I bought one before I knew what I was doing. It is the only pourover I have. I don't do pourover often. I use it because it is there. Having said that it is pretty simple and the coffee is good.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

I use mine as a water pitcher.

The Chemex is a work of art, and coffee in it looks beautiful.

As for actual brewing, the coffees that I roast for filter need to be extracted hot, so it's the second-worst brewing device that I have. (The Syphon brewer is the best.)

However, if one prefers more developed roasts, then the Chemex can work extremely well, especially with an Able Kone.

YMMV.

guijan12

#6: Post by guijan12 »

I'm using mine more and more.
I prefer espresso, but that is not helpful to lower cholesterol.

- Like Richard: 'Excellent brewed coffee and easy nonfickle repeatability batch after batch after batch.'
- It produces a very clean and tasty cup of coffee, but is missing the 'mouth feeling' and aftertaste a good espresso delivers.
- You can shine with your brewer, visitors like it.
- Re-heat it on your gas/electric stove and it still tastes the same.
- But even tasty when cold.

:idea:
Regards,

Guido

mkane
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mkane »

We drug out ours today. Finer grind required with Kone filter. Very enjoyable. On an everyday basis I use a pour over method and my wife a Clever dripper.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

Solid method for larger batches. As others have noted, somewhat lacking in complexity compared to small-batch pour-over. Definitely enjoyable and appropriate when I need more than a cup or two.

hemingr

#9: Post by hemingr »

I love Chemex and I probably make one every other day. Last month I dropped mine and I ordered a new one right after I cleaned up the glass (note: the new ones are quite different, they changed their process and Chemexes made in their Germany plant are now much thinner than before, I called them out on it, and they claim it's an improvement (different stonger glass).

I got my recipe down and since I don't swap coffee often, I got it nailed down.

I love the incredible clarity of Chemex.

I also really like the look.

Eiern

#10: Post by Eiern »

I don't like the amount of paper and resulting prewetting water, but I love the looks. Not sure I like the filtering either, very clear and little body compared to V60? My go to for visitors is glass V60 without collar inside Chemex and then serve in the beatiful Chemex. It's also slower flow. I will try it again as it's been a while!