Chemex ratios and techniques

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
CathyWeeks

#1: Post by CathyWeeks »

I've been using a full immersion brewing method for many years, and now I want to switch to pour-over. I have a Chemex and I'd like to start using it again, but I can't for the life of me remember the various settings: coffee to water ratio, water temperatures, grind size.

When I brew using my Fellow Duo, I brew with 50g of beans, to 800 grams of water, with a very coarse grind. Water is at 185F. Total brew time including bloom is 5:45.

Grind size I can figure out on my own - I'll start at the middle of the pourover settings on my grinder. But given the strength above, about where should I start on my bean:water ratio? And what water temp?

I'm hoping there's someone out there who enjoys immersion brew using similar variables as above - and that also likes to brew with a Chemex or other pour-over, that can tell me their favorite pour-over variables, and I can take it from there.

Yan

#2: Post by Yan »

I come from Clever Drip to Pour Over V.60/Kalita Wave/8 cup Chemex, my standard ratio for Chemex 1/15-1/17, temperature around 92-94C, normally I only using 3 pulse pouring, 1st pour 3xcapacity beans grams for blooming for 45s, 2nd 2/3 total brew grams and the 3rd / last pouring the rest of the total brew for 60gr/1L total brew around 4:30-5:00 minutes, different beans have different drow times natural Ethiopian can takes abit long to 6:00 minutes but it still enjoyable in the cups.

From Immersion to Chemex it's a fun coffee journey from heavy mouthfeel character to a clean and better clarity character for grindsize I am using equally to my Kalita Wave grindsize.

The chopsticks triks sometimes help the drow down...

Advertisement
guijan12

#3: Post by guijan12 »

I have a 8 cup Chemex and normally use 33 gr. in for 500 gr. out, in approximately 4-4,5 minutes.
Water temperature around 94 Celsius.
Appr. 50 gr water is used for blooming and most often I pour 3 times, stirring a bit in between.

I use different coffees all the time and adjust to taste.
But this is my starting point.
Regards,

Guido

Andy

#4: Post by Andy »

CathyWeeks wrote: ... Fellow Duo, I brew with 50g of beans, to 800 grams of water, with a very coarse grind. Water is at 185F. Total brew time including bloom is 5:45.
That looks like a totally reasonable starting place for Chemex. You will probably want to make adjustments to suit your taste. But you knew that.

CathyWeeks (original poster)

#5: Post by CathyWeeks (original poster) replying to Andy »

Well yeah of course. I was just hoping for a short-cut. If you like your immersion at 50:800 ratio, then you'll like pourover at x:y ratio using a finer grind. :D

Deleuzer

#6: Post by Deleuzer »

Recently I've been trying to get similar results in my Chemex to those from a 4:6 method in a v60. Took a while, but here's where I landed (light roast Kenyan/Ethiopian/Rwandan, usually washed but this gets good results with natural processed beans as well):

Water straight from boil
Grind very coarse. Coarser than I thought.
45g coffee / total 750g water.
First pour: 100g (I think the short first/bloom pour may be the most important part of 4:6) in 12-15 sec. Let stand for 45, at which point the bed should have finished draw-down.
Second: 150g, slow/low turbulence
Third: 200g, slow again
Fourth: 150g, slow
Fifth: 150g, extra slow, mostly center pour

Full draw down between each pour as per 4:6.

Total brew time is ~5:45-6 min, and it produces a strong cup with excellent sweetness and medium acidity (for fruity African coffees, at least), and of course that vaunted Chemex cleanness. Some oils on the surface, but no particulates visible or perceptible in mouthfeel.

Note: I have a mediocre grinder (urbanic 070), so if your grinder produces fewer fines, you may benefit from a more aggressive pour. When I pour for greater churn, though, my filter chokes a bit and each drawdown becomes slower, producing a cup with noticeable astringency, so I pour carefully.

cibby
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by cibby »

I am going to try your technique tomorrow :).

I have a drawdown/flow rate question. I'm using the square filters. I notice a significant difference in the flow rate at the tip of the cone/filter if I have the filter normally placed in the Chemex vs if I lift the filter up an inch or two. I know that if the filter seals along the spout curve it causes this or a full stop. My flow rate slows down even when that spout channel looks totally clear. I don't think a chopstick is needed since it looks clear. I assume it's still related to the air pressure or the filter not being in contact w the glass walls so there isn't any flow down the sides of the filter. Does that sound right, do you all have a similarly slow flow when the filter is in its normal place?

Advertisement
Deleuzer

#8: Post by Deleuzer »

the filter's adhesion to the (non-spout) sides definitely slows draw-down. I grind for the draw-down time I want *with* the filter stuck to the (non-spout) sides (which means I grind fairly course).

Andy

#9: Post by Andy »

CathyWeeks wrote:Well yeah of course. I was just hoping for a short-cut. If you like your immersion at 50:800 ratio, then you'll like pourover at x:y ratio using a finer grind. :D
I doubt that there is a reliable short-cut. There are too many variables: grinder, pour rate, etc. I think you just have to try it and tweak it.