Chemex alternative, but compatible with filters

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
BaristaMcBob

#1: Post by BaristaMcBob »

I love my Chemex 6-cup. It broke, so I'd like to replace it. I still have a ton of the paper filters.
One thing I did not like, is that the coffee cooled down rather quickly. I know Chemex cozy's are available, but I'm not crazy about that solution. Some pour--over vessels have a double glass wall, like the Bodum.

Questions: Does the Chemex paper filter fit into the Bodum? Are there other pour-over vessels which have the right shape for a Chemex filter?

Yan

#2: Post by Yan »

I think the bodum Pour Over equally to v.60-02 Filter paper size, Chemex 6-8-10 cup equally to v.60-03 Filter paper.

The Brewista Smart Brew Hourglass 5/8 is equally more or less to Chemex 6 Cups filter size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPvL3ujcYe4

DamianWarS

#3: Post by DamianWarS »

BaristaMcBob wrote:I love my Chemex 6-cup. It broke, so I'd like to replace it. I still have a ton of the paper filters.
One thing I did not like, is that the coffee cooled down rather quickly. I know Chemex cozy's are available, but I'm not crazy about that solution. Some pour--over vessels have a double glass wall, like the Bodum.

Questions: Does the Chemex paper filter fit into the Bodum? Are there other pour-over vessels which have the right shape for a Chemex filter?
the filters will probably fit the bodem or similar cone shapes fine. what is important with the Chemex is that channel which helps with airflow otherwise the filter paper tends to seal on the glass and draw down is a lot slower. if the spout on the bodem is not quite enough for a proper air flow channel to the bottom champer you can use something like a wide straw as your hack channel which will work fine (this also works with the real Chemex to keep the channel from getting sealed). I have the Hario Decanter which is a hourglass-shaped brewer like the Chemex it's also not double-walled so probably won't help you. When I have more coffee I can drink before it gets cold (anything over 1-2 cups) I put it in an insulated carafe. You're right in saying it's not really an answer Chemex deals with but you'll find a lot of brewers have similar problems. To me nothing beats an insulated carafe so I just pour it into one of those

Shojin

#4: Post by Shojin »

guijan12

#5: Post by guijan12 »

BaristaMcBob wrote:I love my Chemex 6-cup. It broke, so I'd like to replace it. I still have a ton of the paper filters.

Do you know you can heat the Chemex up on your gas/electrical stove?
It works like a charm and the taste of the coffee is still perfect.
Btw, I hate cold coffee, but I don't mind drinking the second cup from my Chemex much colder than the first. :)
Regards,

Guido

MikeTheBlueCow

#6: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

I would recommend a larger V60 and a double-wall/insulated carafe.

Acavia

#7: Post by Acavia »

BaristaMcBob wrote:

V60 03 size will brew well with Chemex filter. Then you could us a heat retaining carafe.