Chemex 3 Cup Filter Issues

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Etienne_Lantier

#1: Post by Etienne_Lantier »

Good day my fellow pour over friends,
I'm having an issue with the filters in the Chemex 3 cup. I've watched video after video to ensure I'm folding them properly. To the best of my knowledge I'm following the instructions properly. My issue is when I position the filter in the brewer part of the 3 ply side doesn't sit flush(even after preheating the brewer). It appears to be interrupting the consistency of the bed by truncating it where it juts out. Is this normal? Attached are pictures of my folding and various stages in the brewing process.

Thank you for everything guys and gals.

-Greg

borisblank

#2: Post by borisblank »

Try:

- Make both folds sharp, but especially the second fold. Crease it with your thumbnail, and well.
- I use a chopstick to open the filter while holding the first fold in place against the double-wall part of the filter. I just pinch it to hold it from edging out.
- I then gently uncrease the outer, folded edges of the opened filter by gently squeezing to round out the interior shape while keeping that inner part in place.

The objective of the sharp crease on the second fold is to keep the inner flap in place. Doing this makes it harder to open and stay rounded, though. So the last step is to help keep it open. I also usually keep pinching that inner flap until the filter is in place and I'm starting to rinse.

HTH.

Etienne_Lantier (original poster)

#3: Post by Etienne_Lantier (original poster) »

Thanks for your advice. I've been having better luck lately. What I will do is after I've wet the filter I will run my finger along the crease just to make sure it's seated firmly and it won't start to edge out on me during extraction.

I'm also ensuring all my creases are sharp.
I don't have chopsticks but I do have a bamboo stir I use for my siphon that works in a pinch. :-)

Etienne_Lantier (original poster)

#4: Post by Etienne_Lantier (original poster) »

I've only recently come over to the Chemex from my V60. While I enjoy tasting more of the oils and undissolved solutes with the V60 the clarity of the Chemex is a welcome experience. :-)