Canada N2 source for nitro capsules - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
happycat (original poster)

#11: Post by happycat (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:Ah. I'm drinking immediately after charging so I want everything to be as cold as possible. (The colder the water, the more gas the water can absorb.)

The one recipe that I want to try is to skim the crema off of the espresso. Doing so is supposed to reduce bitterness.

ETA: tried skimming the crema with this afternoon's decaf Nitro (Yirg Natural). I preferred the espresso shot by itself with crema, but preferred the skimmed shots in Nitro Americanos. However, this could just be confirmation bias ...
Your comments about quick infusing upside down and at cold temps confuse me.

My reading indicates nitro takes quite awhile to infuse. The people doing it with kegs have resorted to frequent agitation over days (and talked about putting kegs in paint can shakers!) or special gas hookups that infuse the gas from the bottom of the keg to bubble it up through the liquid the furst time as well as every time they dispense.

My understanding of chemistry is that everything works slower at lower temps... less energized atoms closer together and whatnot.

If I turn my whipper upside-down it just reverses gas and liquid top to bottom. It makes me wonder if you are getting the effect of the gas propelling the liquid out in a foam form rather than an actual infusion into the liquid before it is expelled.

The comment on the crema makes sense. I pulled 4 shots in a row and poured it into my whipper. I tasted the lingering crema in the cup and it was quite sharp. I've been wondering about skimming it but thought I should try it first. I like hoppy-malt beers.

I'll probably try mine Saturday.
LMWDP #603

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by baldheadracing »

The colder the water is, the more gas it can absorb ... and coffee is mostly water.

Here are some charts, you can see that water can absorb the most N2 at freezing: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/gase ... _1148.html

Your understanding of chemistry is generally correct - but what is unique about water is that it is a polar solvent. If you want the chemistry comparing polar and non-polar solvents: https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves ... y_of_Gases

The commercial applications that you mention don't cool all the water (coffee) down to near freezing before introducing the N2, so time and other methods are used. However, there is at least one commercial system that does take advantage of flash chilling (to 36F) and on-the-fly N2 absorption - Brood in Toronto. The one-tap version is $4500CAD, so on the high end for home use. https://eightouncecoffee.ca/products/br ... d05e&_ss=r

As for inversion, think of it as giving a head start on shaking. When inverted, all of the N2 has to first flow through the coffee, being absorbed along the way. Upright, the gas is on top of the water, so there is less surface area between the coffee and the N2 (until you shake).

#13: Post by happycat (original poster) » replying to baldheadracing »

I learned something new, thanks!
LMWDP #603

#14: Post by happycat (original poster) »

We tried the nitro coffee this morning... I had intended to drink in several sessions but we drank the whole litre.

This was 4x shots espresso with 1 litre filtered water + 2x N2 cartridges waiting 4 days. So not even a strong americano. Based on the notes below, I would be tempted to add more shots.

Pour One (Spout, beer style)

Tons of fine foam. Lots of Guinness style effect. Separated into three layers over time.
Intense creaminess... taste and texture of real cream but without any of the fullness of course
Mellow flavour
Hints of chocolate cake
Zaps of vanilla bean (not sure if this was associated more with the foam, perhaps crema oils?)

Pour Two (Spout, beer style)
Way less gas
Mellow, lower level creamy, same flavours but less intense vanilla

Pour Three (Degassed and opened)
Not enough gas for beer pour
Same mellow, hints of chocolate cake, natural sweetness of coffee more noticeable

Bottom Line
I know that none of this is new except to my own experience. :D

N2O produces big bubbled foam that breaks down and can impart a metallic and aspartame flavour. You can get a bit of creaminess out of it with a long infusion and unscrewing the cap after degassing. It was fun to play with but I wouldn't bother now.

N2 is wholly different. Everything is mellow, creamy not only in texture but also flavour. Different flavours were unmasked in my espresso along with more natural sweetness. I left all the crema in when I gassed it up and it was fine. I had the impression of enjoying the coffee oils in the foam. My wife said it was like a cappuccino. From the perspective of creaminess I can understand that description... but for me it did not have the flavour and richness of steamed milk, or the weight and fullness.
LMWDP #603

#15: Post by happycat (original poster) »

I tried gassing up 650ml of cold brew with a single cartridge. Total fail. It may be important to fill the whipper and use 1 cartridge per 500ml.
LMWDP #603

#16: Post by happycat (original poster) »

Latest recipe (Hot brew nitro)

I'm not keen on cold brew nitro because of the inefficiency of using a lot of coffee beans. So I've been playing with stronger hot brews instead. I enjoyed the 4-shot espresso nitro I made, but I'd prefer something stronger tasting-- and making 6 shots in a row for a litre is a bit of work for me. Doable... maybe next time when I feel less lazy.

HOT POUROVER NITRO
----------------------------
90 gm of coffee (a stronger 1:12 ratio vs normal 1:16.6 ratio)
1100ml of water (I want a litre of actual coffee, assuming 10% trapped in coffee grounds)
using Fellow Duo immersion as a large-scale pour-over device (could also use a Bonavita immersion dripper)
2x nitrogen cartridges
large weigh scale

0. Cooled whipper body in freezer for a few hours [DO NOT INCLUDE HEAD - SILICONE SEAL MAY BE DAMAGED]
1. Grind coffee a little finer than normal for my pourover
2. Add coffee to top of immersion brewer (locked shut to prevent water from escaping)
3. Bloom with 10% of water for around 20-30 seconds
4. Release brewer lock and use pour-over method to add total of 1100g of water
5. Release carafe from brewer and cover carafe
6. Wait for coffee to cool
7. Add coffee to whipper
8. Charge whipper with 2x nitrogen capsules
9. Shake vigorously
10. Cool in fridge for 24 hours or so
11. Shake before serving (I think this is necessary to avoid getting WAY TOO MUCH CREAM for serving 1... and then little left for the rest)

Result:

Rich and creamy flavour and texture. Smooth, mellow and delicious.

Notes:

A. Even after waiting most of the day for the coffee to cool, when I poured it into the frozen whipper, the whipper immediately became room temp.

B. I thought I needed to wait a long time, but I guess not. 24 hours and it was very nice. And with hot brew it's reasonably efficient on bean use and in the effort required to make it.

C. I will have to try the espresso version again...a 6-shot version. I'd also like to try a jebena version. :)
LMWDP #603

randytsuch

#17: Post by randytsuch »

@happycat
Thanks for all the info, interesting.

What tip are you using in your dispenser? Being lazy here, I expect its in a previous thread.

I bought an Isi tip from their nitro coffee system
https://isi-store.com/collections/nitro ... nitro-tip About $16 with shipping

It fits on the Ico 500ml whipped cream dispenser I have. Got pretty good results with it, but I want to try your strong coffee recipe and see how tastes.

Randy

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
Spitz.me

#18: Post by Spitz.me »

Are you guys using these N2 capsules in regular whip dispensers? I read somewhere that they won't work because they won't fit, but the N2 that I see in the picture certainly look like they'd at least fit in the n2o cartridge holder.
LMWDP #670

yakster
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by yakster »

Spitz.me wrote:Are you guys using these N2 capsules in regular whip dispensers? I read somewhere that they won't work because they won't fit, but the N2 that I see in the picture certainly look like they'd at least fit in the n2o cartridge holder.
Covered on page 1
randytsuch wrote:What tip are you using in your dispenser?
I bought an Isi tip from their nitro coffee system
https://isi-store.com/collections/nitro ... nitro-tip About $16 with shipping. It fits on the Ico 500ml whipped cream dispenser I have.

Randy
Nice, I was using a stout tap connected to a hose that I'd slip over the nozzle of a soda siphon, but it got loose and sprayed the whole kitchen so I just ordered an ISI nitro tip to use with my cream whipper.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

randytsuch

#20: Post by randytsuch »

yakster wrote: Nice, I was using a stout tap connected to a hose that I'd slip over the nozzle of a soda siphon, but it got loose and sprayed the whole kitchen so I just ordered an ISI nitro tip to use with my cream whipper.
I was ready to make an adapter, was pleasantly surprised when it just screwed on. Appears they use a standard size for the tips, which makes sense.