Calling all Siphon Users!

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
tv79

#1: Post by tv79 »

Anyone using a siphon as your daily driver (and if so, which model)?

I've been seriously considering the Hario Smart Beam Heater to make the process a bit more convenient and repeatable, but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. :D

Osidecoffee

#2: Post by Osidecoffee »

I was gifted a stovetop Bodum Pebo by a friend, and I definitely like it. I've seen various talks about replacing its plastic filter with a cloth filter, but I've kept it simple. I think it makes a great smooth, clean cup of coffee. I'm currently trading off between a french press and the siphon every day. It's my only siphon experience, but i've enjoyed it, and my wife loves it. Hopefully others can chip in on experiences with other ones.

Subrutum

#3: Post by Subrutum »

I use the Hario Technica a little here & there. Mostly espresso though...

I absolutely like the clarity the brewing process gives if the beans' optimized for high-temp brews.

It's also a great guest pleaser! However, I absolutely dislike the cleanup.

An alternative would be the Chemex for its similar clarity, but with the additional pro of being easier to clean (and is already decanted) although one can argue that the water temps will not be going up throughout the brew and is instead (generally) going down, I don't see(hear) any baristas complaining about the easier cleanup. :mrgreen:
Magician of the Great Coffee Bean Pressure-Extraction Machine.

Osidecoffee

#4: Post by Osidecoffee »

Just a further point, the bodum pebo has a very large opening on the top where the grounds are, so I find it to be a very easy cleanup. It seems like the issue with cleaning the hario siphons is the small opening that you have to scoop the grinds out of?

tv79 (original poster)

#5: Post by tv79 (original poster) »

It definitely produces a unique cup. Sounds like you have the best of both worlds switching between that and FP.

I've heard some good things about the Pebo. Honestly, I avoided the siphon/syphon/vacpot/whatever you want to call it for years till fairly recently, thinking it was too much of a pain to use regularly. But I've found once you get the process down, it's really not much more work than most other methods.

Wish someone would make a decent adjustable temp model - the only option I've seen is the Diguo and it broke within a week.

Osidecoffee

#6: Post by Osidecoffee »

Yea, I'm always interested to see how some people think it's so labor intensive. I think I saw a reddit thread where that was the majority of responses. If you are only used to making pourovers, and dealing with that easy cleanup, then I guess it seems like a decent amount of cleaning. But it's pretty quick and easy to me, with the pebo I just wipe out the dried grounds later with a paper towel, then hand wash the rest. And like you said makes a nice distinct cup from my other methods.

tv79 (original poster)

#7: Post by tv79 (original poster) »

Subrutum, for cleanup problems did you mean the vessel, filter, or both? I've been curious to try the paper filters, which would seem to make cleanup easier (I've been sticking with metal, as I've found cloth to be a pain).

Re: Chemex - I own one but have always found it somewhat tricky to get an even extraction (that, plus the heat retention issue you mentioned). It's been awhile though, so I might have to dust it off and give it another try.

tv79 (original poster)

#8: Post by tv79 (original poster) »

Completely agreed. As long as I clean it with hot water right after use (and maybe a bottle brush on occasion) I don't have any issues.

happycat

#9: Post by happycat »

My wife has used a Yama stovetop siphon every workday morning for years. It is very reasonably priced and makes a thermos volume of coffee she takes to work.

I replaced the cloth filter with a filter holder that uses replaceable mesh. The mesh didn't last that long.

I bought a sample of industrial stainless fine mesh and cut it up and a square lasts years.
LMWDP #603

tv79 (original poster)

#10: Post by tv79 (original poster) »

Great idea on the mesh filter. Nice to have something durable yet replaceable, that doesn't involve the hassle of cloth.

On another note (per our Chemex discussion yesterday), I experimented this morning with rigging a Chemex filter to fit my Technivorm Moccamaster. I brewed 600ml, closing the stopper for the first 30 sec, followed by quick stir/spin and full open. Result was outstanding, and tasted more evenly extracted than when using the Chemex brewer (presumably due to immersion and a more constant water temp). And yes, cleanup was a bit easier. :D