Brewing times with large flat burr grinder - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Acavia

#11: Post by Acavia »

804 Ditting, and more and more I find going coarser makes better coffee. For a one pour V60 17:1 ~25g brew, the under 3 minutes tend to be best.

rajbangsa

#12: Post by rajbangsa »

Ejquin wrote:
But, I think generally comparing brew times is not all that productive. Different coffees are going to take different times and certainly there will be a large difference from grinder to grinder. The most important thing is the extraction (if you're measuring that) and taste.
totally agree :lol:

ShotClock (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by ShotClock (original poster) »

After a few more days of experimenting, I'm starting to get good results with two pours (in addition to the bloom) and 3-3:15 overall time. I'm also finding that reducing the temperature by a couple of degrees is useful, even with lighter roasts.

I've been using cafec filters in the origami, to get a V60 type brew with more bypass. Will experiment with the kalita filters at some point soon, they were awful with the Niche, far too easy to choke.

Robph914

#14: Post by Robph914 »

Acavia wrote:804 Ditting, and more and more I find going coarser makes better coffee. For a one pour V60 17:1 ~25g brew, the under 3 minutes tend to be best.
I completely agree. For the past few weeks, I've been doing one pour V60 17:1 with a 30g dose through my 804 and I've been getting my best results that way. Usually somewhere around ~2:45. I would totally recommend it!

Acavia

#15: Post by Acavia replying to Robph914 »

What grind setting for that brew?

ShotClock (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by ShotClock (original poster) »

Given some of these numbers, i tried to run a much shorter brew today with the Flat SLM and some "guava banana" Colombian from My Friends Coffee. I overshot the grind adjustment and found that my be completed in 2:15. Amazingly, this was probably my best brew yet with this grinder - vibrant and juicy tropical fruit notes with no residual bitterness. One thing that i noticed was a slight dry, astringent note in the aftertaste. Maybe this was slightly under extracted?

erik82

#17: Post by erik82 »

ShotClock wrote:After a few more days of experimenting, I'm starting to get good results with two pours (in addition to the bloom) and 3-3:15 overall time. I'm also finding that reducing the temperature by a couple of degrees is useful, even with lighter roasts.

I've been using cafec filters in the origami, to get a V60 type brew with more bypass. Will experiment with the kalita filters at some point soon, they were awful with the Niche, far too easy to choke.
Those cafec light roasts filters have a very and mean very high resistance not being able to get brew times onder 4:00-4:30min. The older ones where better in my eyes but the current ones just have way too long drawdown times and I stopped usng them. I went back to normal V60 filters and got much better results and normal drawdown times.

Robph914

#18: Post by Robph914 »

I'd say about 1cm away from 6. Keep in mind I'm using the 80mm SSP Ultra Low Fines burrs. My machine is calibrated to standard Ditting parameters by a local workshop. Good luck!

Acavia

#19: Post by Acavia replying to Robph914 »

Mine is half a number from chirp so a whole number lower if yours is 1 1/2 from chirp which I think is the base calibration??

Robph914

#20: Post by Robph914 »

Not sure! Wish I could help with that. I say start there and adjust according to taste.